Sign in to follow this  
MatthewMarichiba

Search box disappears when there are too many subpages or categories

MatthewMarichiba

Hi, I'm using WhiteHousePro, and am very, very pleased with the features & ease of use (and the timely support on this forum-- bravo!). I was perplexed by the fact that my Search box appears on some pages, but not on others (which felt like a bug to me). With a bit more inspection, I find that when there are too many subpages or categories in the sub-nav bar, the titles extend into the space where the search box goes. The result seems to be that the search box itself disappears. Can anyone instruct me how to get it back? Is there a way to let the subnav bar wrap, so the search can appear below it? You might say, "You can put a search widget on the sidebar on the pages that are affected." In fact, I tried that and discovered that the Search widget behaves funky in WhiteHousePro. The label & text field are mis-aligned, and the text extends outside the boundaries of the sidebar. You can see both phenomena (no "regular" search box, and funked-up search widget) occurring here: http://sustyworks.in3online.com/blog Thanks! Matthew

Andrew

Hi Matt, The first thing we need to fix is some markup errors I'm seeing on your site. I actually think the "search" widget is breaking the design. (this theme is meant to use the search in header) Can you add a title to the search widget?

MatthewMarichiba

Done. I put a the title "Search" on the search widget. It doesn't seem to change the rendering issue, though. You can see examples of pages with and without the search widget. The Services & Blog pages have the Search widget conditionally enabled in the sidebar. The subpages of Services do not have the Search widget on. All these pages are not displaying the regular Search box in the header (which I would prefer to have), because the subnavigation items extend too far to the right. My ideal solution would be to not have to use the search widget at all.0 Thanks for looking into it! Matthew

cmunns

Add this code to your custom css area in the theme options ` #sub_head {height:auto;} #searchform {width:198px;} #s {width:95px;} ` Cheers!

MatthewMarichiba

Hi, Thanks so much for the response. Interestingly, when I used all 3 of your suggested lines, the width of the search box changed and looked funny. I used just the first line (#sub_head {height:auto;}), and things look good. Thanks again for the support! Matthew