Sign in to follow this  
npetten

Adding content above post list

npetten

I would like to add content to a typical post list page. For example, if I select a category and then it lists all the posts under that category, I would like to add content (text/image) at the top of the page that is relevant to that category. I can imagine that this can be done through editing the php files directly, but I would like this website to be easily customizable by the client. Is there a way to do this through the native WP panel or Pagelines options? Thanks the website is: new.wici.ca

catrina

There are no WP or PageLines settings for customizing the category page. Making edits to the PHP files is possible, but I'm not sure how well that will go over if the client is unfamiliar with how to make changes when needed.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

npetten

I found this resource in the WP codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/category_description It basically tells me that I can add a description to a category and then show it on the category post page. It instructs me to add some code to the post .php file (for example, archive.php) but I can't find the .php file that relates to categories. Does that make sense or should I clarify more?

cmunns

I would use a hook...read up on them in the documentation. Something like this would work ` add_action ('pagelines_inside_top_theloop','cat_desc'); function cat_desc(){ if (is_category()): echo category_description(); endif; } `

npetten
Thanks for the advice. Where would I place that hook?

catrina
All hooks need to be added to the functions.php file in the child theme PlatformBase (as shown here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse