Sign in to follow this  
Rob

About Categories

Rob

This is likely not a Pagelines issue, but a WP one. If there's a plugin to resolve the issue, please tell me. I have in several installations on my site many recipes, and they fall into different categories, but I use only the one category list to make selections, setting those categories in hierarchical manner... In more plain English, a recipe for Scrambled Eggs and Bacon with Home Fries might be listed in "Breakfast > Eggs" "Breakfast > Potatoes", "Breakfast > Meats > Bacon" as well as "Pork > Bacon", "Dairy > Eggs" and "Side Dishes > Potatoes". It would also likely be listed under "Regional and Ethnic > North American > American". Whenever someone finds the recipe, I'm looking to display a list of 10 to 15 other recipes in the same category they selected, or the default (highest level) category for the dish (if they used search or browsing). So the question is... How do get that list automated? Thanks for your help, well in advance.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

catrina

Hm, since you're using posts to display these recipes, you might want to try this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/yet-another-related-posts-plugin/ This allows a list of posts (similar to the post a reader is currently viewing) to show up and you can the number of posts to display.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob

Thank you Catrina. I tried that and it's wonderful. But it won't match the category. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. If someone looks in the category "Breakfast > Eggs" I want the related posts to match that specific category and sub-category. Your prompt reply however, is wonderful as few other support forums have such dedicated and timely replies.

timlinson

You can sort of do it by using a combination of tags and categories. e.g. breakfast is a category, and each ingredient is a tag That's still not quite what you're after, but you'll probably be hard pressed to find even a plugin for an intricate categorization system like that.

Rob

Not sure if this helps anyone else, but I found a wonderful little plugin called Custom Press that created all the new taxonomies and post types I could imagine with great ease. It works perfectly within Pagelines with no glitches. To enhance that, another plugin called Multi-Column Taxonomy List created a 3 column list of the categories within each new taxonomy. Both plugins were extremely flexible. Now, each taxonomy is separate, with a shorter list and the ability to be far more precise in categorization. The best part is they can easily be found by browsing. Thank you Tim and Catrina for your help.