Sign in to follow this  
krumvillebakeshop

PLATFORM BASE and PLATFORM PRO question

krumvillebakeshop

Tim and Catrina so amazingly helped me add a function in Base to get the Social Icons to show again. When the Base version is Active the icons show up but when I switch the theme back to Pro they don't. I don't understand the relation between the 2 versions. :( I'm I just supposed to leave the Base version active, in order for the Pro version to work? http://www.krumvillebakeshop.com/

krumvillebakeshop

Are the icons links supposed to work if I have PlatformBase Active, and PlatformPro setting set-up like the image below? as of now they don't link to anything. o0cpL.png

timlinson

Hi Antonella - Base is a child theme. The codex has a detailed description of child themes here, but the idea is that you can make your customizations (like hooks) in Base, and you get to keep them when you upgrade Pro. If you made your code changes in Pro instead, those changes would be lost every time you upgrade. For the social URLs, the hooked code doesn't read that settings panel. Change the `your.facebook.url` and `your.twitter.url` in the hook to those URLs.

krumvillebakeshop

Hi Tim, Thank you for posting the link, I finally get what the child theme is supposed to do. For some reasons in my case the Base theme changes are not showing up in Pro as they are supposed to. I did have Base active when I added the code to the function.php file. The social icons show up and link perfectly, but ONLY when Base is the Active theme, as soon as I switch to Pro (1.5) they don't show anymore. Everything else though the site looks the same. I left Base active (and I won't change it until I hear back) for you to check out, maybe you can make sense of it all. thank you so much for all your help on this. Best, Antonella http://www.krumvillebakeshop.com

Simon

@Antonella Leave the base theme activated, it inherits the parent theme settings automatically and allows you to upgrade the parent theme without losing any settings/custom code.

krumvillebakeshop

Ah! thank you guys for the clarification. I'm all good then! Happy memorial week-end!