Sign in to follow this  
krumvillebakeshop

Help with Social Icons in Brandnav

krumvillebakeshop

Hi guys, I'm looking to re-insert the social icons buttons in my sites (I seam to have lost them after I switched to a brandnav. navigation) I'm looking to position them on top-right of the brandnav. area. my site link: http://www.krumvillebakeshop.com I looked at the tutorials on how to add an action to a hook, but unfortunately I really don't understand exactly how to make this happen. I have few questions: 1) where can I find exactly the function.php file? (the tutorial totally skips this) 1a) After you find it do you make a copy of it on your computer while you edit, then re-upload it to the server? 2) Is the hook I want to use in my case the: pageline_inside_top_brandnav? 3) what is the action I need to insert (I would have no idea how to right one) I hope someone can help with this. I'm lost! thank you, antonella

krumvillebakeshop

I think I found the function.php file. Is in wp-content>themes>platformpro>function.php it looks pretty empty so I'm wondering if I'm on the right path? JOXBc.png

catrina
1) where can I find exactly the function.php file? (the tutorial totally skips this)
The functions.php file can be found by going to Appearance > Theme Editor > Theme Functions (in the list on the right side). You need to make sure that PlatformBase (the child theme) is activated, though. You can do that by going to Appearance > Themes.
1a) After you find it do you make a copy of it on your computer while you edit, then re-upload it to the server?

You can if you want, but it's easier to edit it directly in Appearance > Theme Editor and then saving the file from there.

2) Is the hook I want to use in my case the: pageline_inside_top_brandnav?
I think the hook you're looking for is pagelines_branding_icons_start.
3) what is the action I need to insert (I would have no idea how to right one)
The action you need to insert can be named any way you like. It can be named top_right_branding_icons to make it easy for you to identify what the hook is being used for. This tutorial helps: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

krumvillebakeshop

thanks catrina, nice directions! I got up to the point of writing in the Add your function here section in the functions.php file of the child theme and saving it. I tried to write up the action as suggested in the video but I must have done it wrong because now I'm getting this page error. How do I undo this? Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /hermes/bosweb/web099/b997/ipg.krumvillebakeshopcom/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php on line 112

timlinson

Download platformbase.zip again from your launchpad page and upload a clean platformbase/functions.php via ftp. Can you post the hook you tried?

krumvillebakeshop

Ok, got rid of the error code and the site is back up.I reinstalled the function.php from my downloads to my server. Now the menus are a bit messed up :(http://www.krumvillebakeshop.com/ I really don't understand this, so if anyone can be so kind maybe to explain what's happening?

krumvillebakeshop

Hi tim, how are you? I didn't copy the code before I saved the file, I should have!! I SORT OF COPIED AND PASTED THE example found on the tutorial http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme. Anyhow, I really got no clue how this coding works, all I'm trying to do is get the social icons into the brandnav. area and is turning into a nightmare. :(

timlinson

You're sure you downloaded platformbase and not platformpro? If 1) you added a hook 2) site broke and 3) re-uploaded functions.php with nothing else in between, the site should go back exactly to before #1. Have you been using that dropdown menu plugin the whole time?

timlinson

Your hook would look something like this: `add_action('brandnav_after_nav', 'az_brandnav_icons');` `function az_brandnav_icons() { ?>` `? ? 

` `? ? ? ? ` `? ? ? ? ` `? ? 
` `<?php }`

krumvillebakeshop

i did, just looked at all the open finder windows and the theme is platformbase going to the same on the server upload window. i just deactivated 2 menu plugins (i'm actually not using) but still no improvement. do you think i should delete from the server the platformbase theme folder and reinstall it trough WP?

timlinson

I wouldn't do that unless you're positive that you made no customizations to base before. What are the 2 rows below the top nav? focaccia | cookies | crackers | about | the goods | rosemary | beet where to buy | bell pepper | news | contact | faq | blog Are those custom menus in Appearance > Menus? Are they supposed to show up ever?

timlinson
the hook inserted should look like this? hx7sG.png
this needs to be on its own line: `add_action('brandnav_after_nav', 'az_brandnav_icons');`

krumvillebakeshop

Hi tim, looking around I saw that in WP menus the Primary website navigation was blank so I re-added the custom menu I had created and it fixed the problem, menus now look like they should now :). Except on hover now a white box comes up, at one point I figured out how to make that yellow #ffcc33 as the background, but I'm having trouble finding how I did it. I added the code in functions like this but nothing happens. http://imgur.com/hlyCK.png

timlinson

I can't be positive, but from the picture it looks like there's a space missing before `class` in both links. should be (extra spaces just to emphasize location): `.com' class='facebooklink'` `.com' class='twitterlink'`

krumvillebakeshop

Hi tim, thank you so much for the help with this. I added the spaces and tried different versions, but nothing happens, I checked if all the setting for the link where set up, they are. here is the picture neMkN.png any other idea on what I can try?

krumvillebakeshop

also just tried this as well. MECzl.png

krumvillebakeshop

Hi Catrina, How are you? I did. I tried no space single space and double space, non of them do anything. Do you have any suggestion on what I may try to get the social icons back? Thank you and have a great memorial week-end!

timlinson

Hmm I just tested it again and it still works on my end. Can you double check if Platform Base is the active theme in Appearance > Themes?

krumvillebakeshop

THANK YOU! I didn't realize the actual platformbase had to be active, I always selected it from the Edit page > Select theme to edit before I would put in the code. It totally works now! Thank you Tim and Catrina for the amazing support on this!! Have a great holiday weekend!