Sign in to follow this  
ianneedsatlantic-globalcouk

Custom Post Type/Taxonomy

I have a site that has lots of categories of information, to make this easier to manage I would like to break some of these categories out into custom post types. For example Movies, with custom taxonomies for the details such as Director, Genre, Actors/Actresses. There are obviously lots of different plugins available to do this but none that I have tried provide the Pagelines Section Control options and featured image on the custom post type. Im no coding guru, but can generally follow instrustions. Ive had a good look around the forum and the documentation but have yet to find my answer. I would image this is a common question for anybody that wants to use wordpress more like a CMS and likes the flexibility that the Platform Pro Theme provides. To try and make it easier to follow, I think my question is probably three fold?. 1. How can I implement Custom Post Types into the PlatformPro/Child Theme so that the Pagelines Section Control options are visible? 2. How can I make the custom taxonomies visible in my post pages/archives? 3. How can I create a page that only shows posts for a specific custom post type and/or taxonomy. Hope Im not asking too much, Ive watched loads of tutorials etc on how I could do this with a standard wordpress theme and think I would be confortable doing it in such a theme, I'm just struggling to translate it over to the Platform Pro. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Many thanks Ian

cmunns
1. How can I implement Custom Post Types into the PlatformPro/Child Theme so that the Pagelines Section Control options are visible?
You would use PlatformBase to create new "sections" e.g. boxes and features are essentially post types. These are however used differently than custom post types are typically.
2. How can I make the custom taxonomies visible in my post pages/archives?
Part of the problem with the section method, but I do believe custom post types will be handled easier in newer releases and within the loop when applicable
3. How can I create a page that only shows posts for a specific custom post type and/or taxonomy.
If nothing else you would use the query_posts function. Let me find more info out for you adding the post type.

creativeadventures

I would love to see some documentation on the new custom post types feature of Platform 1.5.

Simon

Patrik if you have a custom post type, it will now have the usual Platform meta sections in the post edit screen.

Thanks for your response Adam, I think I'm gradually getting there. Basically I have created a new section in base using the section.boxes.php file from Platform which provides me with the functionality I need at this point. I will probably do some re-giging when the new version is available as I do need the additional Taxonomies to help filter the content displayed - unless you could recommend an alternative method. Thanks again Ian

Simon
I will probably do some re-giging when the new version is available
If you mean 1.5.0 it is the latest version available ;)

Rob

Ian, Please refer to a recent post http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/9955 in which I had a similar question about taxonomies. As you'll read, I used Custom Press, a Wordpress plugin that works wonderfully.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur