Sign in to follow this  
bmyers

using iframes disables side bars, drop down menus

bmyers

Hi all, I've searched and cannot find an answer to this. I am buiding a real estate site which needs to use an iframe to an outside site in order to search the MLS for properties for sale. The site is being built here and you can see the 2 sidebars and drop down nav menus on the landing page. If you go to any pages that use iframes, the drop down menu functionality and sidebars will disappear. These pages are found in "What's For Sale", "Map Search", "Office Listings", "What's My Home Worth". Here is a direct link to the map search page. Other pages such as the contact page do not have this problem. Here is a sample iframe tag

<iframe src="http://www.idxre.com/idx/finderMap.cfm?cid=XXXXX" width="800" height="2000" frameborder="0">
Troubleshooting tried: -removing all content from the sidebards except some text widgets with only the title set (to help me find my way around the side bars) -using an iframe that points to a simple html page with just some text on it -shrinking the size of the iframe -removing the height, frameborder, and width options from the iframe command -removing the iframe from the page and replacing it with simple text (this makes the menus and sidebars functional) I like Platform so far and am really hoping I can get these pesky iframes to work. Thanks Bryan

catrina

I am visiting the What's For Sale and other pages and the dropdown functionality and sidebars work (I'm viewing in Firefox for Mac). Do you still see the problem?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bmyers

I'm seeing the problem on Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8.0 and Firefox 4.0 So it's working for you at least. hmmmm

catrina

Did you already enable the Google Compatibility script in Settings > Misc. Settings?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bmyers

I looked at these pages with Firefox firebug and may have found either a clue or evidence as to what is going on. Inside the "pagelines_content" div I see a div for "column-wrap" which contains the div for "sidebar1". Similarly, I find "sidebar2" inside a div called "sidebar-wrap". When I look at a page that uses an iframe, the "sidebar1" div is missing from the "column-wrap" div and the "sidebar-wrap" div containing "sidebar2" is gone as well.

bmyers

Google IE compatibility was off. I turned it on and got the same result. On that same settings page I saw the "make dynamic CSS's inline" setting and enabled that too- no luck. I tried both on, and each on, same result. Now both are unchecked again.

bmyers

I also took a look with my wife's laptop using Windows 7, same version of IE as mine, and also Chrome. The problem shows up there too. It's weird that the divs get removed for these browsers and not yours. Perhaps a server side issue? It detects the windows browsers and decides to remove the div from the HTML data?

bmyers

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried and it didn't help. I'm having browsershots.org take a look with various browsers to see which are working.

bmyers

I tried in a three column theme called "Graphene" and got problems too. The menus worked, the sidebars were present, however the right one had no content and the left's slideshow was only text. I might be able to work through those however I want to leave the page up with Platform so that the browser shots can be taken. I'm going to get some fresh air. Back in 30-45 min.

timlinson

Can you post the exact iframe code?

bmyers

Hi Tim, I did up in the quoted area of the first post. The only difference is the XXXXs which is an account number I'm not allowed to give out. That's just one of several I'm trying to use. I also tried using one to an HTML page I created which only had a few lines of text on and no CSS stuff at all and no luck. The only consistent factor is the use of the iframe.

timlinson

If that's the exact code, it's missing the closing `` tag.

bmyers

Update- I was looking around the content provider I am linking to and found another layout I liked better which I now have enabled. It needs a slightly smaller frame so I decreased the width of my iframe tag to 750. Also I was able to look around the CSS file they use and they did not have anything using the sidebar names. Lastly, I do not have the side bars disabled in the page pagelines section controls... I just noticed those and thought I'd mention them in case anybody thought of it.

bmyers

bingo! That's embarassing but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks Tim!