Sign in to follow this  
thecomputerlab

Live Writer 2011

thecomputerlab

Cant get Live Writer to connect to blog, is this a Platform pro issue or something i am not doing. Is there a workaround if it is a theme issue. Any input appreciated guys. Regards, Grant

kastelic

Can you please give the steps that you took to receive an error and what exactly was the error that you encountered?

thecomputerlab

Jimmy, Sorry for the late response (been away on business) and thanks for your prompt response. I think it is possible because i am not putting the correct details in the livewriter log in. The error i get is that writer cannot detect my blog. My site is here www.thecomputerlab.co.uk Regards, Grant

Simon

do you need to have XML-RPC enabled, its under wordpress settings?

fschreier

I too am having issues using Windows Live Writer. When you first set it up for a site, it goes out and tries to dedect the theme and settings and that's where I get the first error. It asks me if I want to do a test post so that I can see what it will look like, and the test post is supposed to be automatically deleted: http://www.landinglunkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/livewriter1.jpg Here's the response I get back when it tries to perform the action: http://www.landinglunkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/livewriter2.jpg And when I try to manually post a draft post to the site, I get this error: "The response to the metaWeblog.newPost method received from the blog server was invalid: Invalid response document returned from XmlRpc server" *Note: The draft posts to show up under posts, even with the error.

fschreier

I'll check that out and try some of the suggestions. But here's something odd; I have another blog hosted at the same hosting company (totally different accounts and domains) and as a test, I installed Platform Pro on a fresh install of wordpress on a sub-domain on my other blog and there are 0 errors when trying to use Live Writer, works like a charm. The only difference that I know of is that my other blog is on a virtual server and the one for my church is on their regular hosting plan. Weird, eh?

thecomputerlab

Catrina, Thanks for the link i will have a look at the workarounds. My problem is i cant even get live writer to connect so i havent got past first base yet. There are some suggestions in the link you have supplied which mean adding some lines into the htaccess file. I will do this and let you know how i get on. Regards, Grant

fschreier

Grant, Have you gone into your wordpress settings, and under the "writing" section, enabled this option? "Enable the WordPress, Movable Type, MetaWeblog and Blogger XML-RPC publishing protocols." Live Writer won't be able to connect unless this is enabled. Frank

thecomputerlab

Frank, I have XML-RPC enabled but i dont have atom enabled is this correct ? Grant

Kate

Hi Grant, Yes, that should be the option that's selected.

shmokes

Has anyone had any luck with this? I'm having the same issue and I've tried all the suggestions. The only one I didn't successfully try was the one that sounded most applicable: ************************************************************* Solution: Add the following lines of code to your .htaccess file contained in WordPress installation folder where the xmlrpc.php file also resides. Thanks Alpesh. SecFilterInheritance Off ************************************************************* When I tried that it broke my site completely and returned an "Internal Server Error" instead of my site's homepage, also noting that: Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. I'm pretty sure that the inability to download the theme is directly caused by the inability to get proper feedback when submitting posts, because Live Writer submits a temporary post as part of the process of downloading the theme. Anyway, I wish a definitive answer could be found so MS could patch it. I have the impression that this has been an ongoing problem for a long time.

shmokes
I think this might be helpful to people in figuring out this problem, but I don't have the skill to know what it means. I found a Windows Live Write Log and deleted it, and then immediately tried to publish a post, producing the error message that so many people are getting. This created a new, relatively small log file. One problematic-looking line looks to be identifying the cause of the problem. It is repeated approx. 30 times: Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter in /homepages/22/d334612527/htdocs/Sites/BestKidIpadApps/wp-includes/class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php on line 2469
After that line I see four more warnings, but I think they are related to the line above because they reference line 2469 of that same PHP file in them: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/22/d334612527/htdocs/Sites/BestKidIpadApps/wp-includes/class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php:2469) in /homepages/22/d334612527/htdocs/Sites/BestKidIpadApps/wp-includes/class-IXR.php on line 471

Line 2469 of class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php reads: if ( strpos( $post_content, $file->guid ) !== false ) Does anything about that line jump out as wrong? I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this problem. And considering how useless I am with this stuff, I'd like to think I made a substantial contribution to correcting the problem for the MANY other people on the internet who are having the same issues with Windows Live Writer.

shmokes
Okay, I think I solved this. I hope my solution solves the problem for others as well. So, I had determined that all my problem were being caused by line 2469 of class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php, which reads: ************************************************************* if ( strpos( $post_content, $file->guid ) !== false ) ************************************************************* I added the following line directly above that one and it seems to have solved my problem entirely, but I hope if I've done something dangerous one of you PHP gurus will let me know. I post this solution with the caveat that I have no idea what I'm doing. ************************************************************* if($file->guid && !($file->guid == NULL)) ************************************************************* I hope this helps others. I have the impression that a lot of people have struggled with this and, very likely, the solution was to just not use Windows Live Writer, which is a shame because it's so much more capable a program than any other offline blog editor. For reference, here's a larger snippet of my final code: ************************************************************* // find any unattached files $attachments = $wpdb->get_results( "SELECT ID, guid FROM {$wpdb->posts} WHERE post_parent = '0' AND post_type = 'attachment'" ); if ( is_array( $attachments ) ) { foreach ( $attachments as $file ) { if($file->guid && !($file->guid == NULL)) if ( strpos( $post_content, $file->guid ) !== false ) $wpdb->update($wpdb->posts, array('post_parent' => $post_ID), array('ID' => $file->ID) ); } *************************************************************