Sign in to follow this  
liverpoolfootballblog

How to stop horizantal scrolling?

liverpoolfootballblog

Hey guys, Does anyone know what needs to be done to stop the horizontal scrolling bar from appearing on my website? http://liverpoolfootballblog.com My settings are at 998px fixed width. The problem only occurs on a macbook pro 13 inch using firefox. With a 17 inch macbook pro it was ok.

ricardo

Andrew, It's happening on Chrome too. As soon as I page the page narrower (without reaching the content borders) I get an horizontal scrollbar. From the look of it, I would say it's the ads. Ricardo

liverpoolfootballblog

Ricardo, I tried removing those ads and other plugins individually to see if that helped but no ideas. Maybe I've accidentally styled it like that in base.css?

ricardo

Yes, that's the next logic step: remove style sheets one by one until you find the one with the offending code and then dig into it looking for any possible culprit. At this stage if nothing pops out upon inspection, you can also delete chunks of code at a time to see if you accidentally catch it. Hours and hours of pure fun ;) Good luck! Ricardo

liverpoolfootballblog

Ah k, fun! I've located the location of the suspect code. It's in my functions.php file, now it's just a matter of pinpointing the exact bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

liverpoolfootballblog

This is the offending code. If there's a way to fix it that would be good? Otherwise, it's not a big deal. Thanks for your help mate.

// add_action('hook_name','function name');

// ---> uncomment to load
		add_action('pagelines_before_branding_icons', 'tweetcount_home');

// function name
		function tweetcount_home(){?>

<div id="tweetcount_home">
	<script type="text/javascript" src="http://twittercounter.com/embed/Liverpoolfcblog/ffffff/99000e"></script><noscript>Liverpoolfcblog on Twitter Counter.com</noscript>
	</div>

<?php }
		// end function[/code]

ricardo

There's nothing wrong with that code... syntax is fine, structure is fine... what does this do? Ricardo

liverpoolfootballblog

It displays the number of followers you have on twitter from twittercounter.com It doesn't really matter, I think I can live without it.

ricardo

Not sure this will help but see if adding this to your CUstom CSS Rules help:

#tweetcount_home { width: 50px; margin: 0; padding: 0; }

Ricardo

liverpoolfootballblog

Oh, sorry, I forgot to include the CSS styling maybe there's a problem with that?

/* changes twitter counter button on home page */
	element.style, #TwitterCounter {
	    border: medium none;
	    bottom: 188px;
	    left: 238px;
	    position: relative;
	}

ricardo

Yeah... it's nasty! Element.style doesn't exist and huge margins for such a small place. Try this:

#TwitterCounter {
	    border: none;
	    bottom: 10px;
	    left: 10px;
	}

liverpoolfootballblog

Hey Ricardo, I tried that code but I think the problem is with the script that twittercounter.com gives you. When you hover over it, it shows it's very wide. So I just moved it to the sidebar and all is good. Thanks for your help.