Sign in to follow this  
jasonlioh

MySQL (_transient_timeout_pagelines and _transient_pagelines_tinyurl)

jasonlioh

Can somebody please explain what are these two lines for? My WordPress database, wp_options, has like 65 pages of these codes/character strings. Can they be deleted? The image is too huge to be included in this post. Here's a print screen to my question.

ricardo

Wow! I'm marking this for developer review, Jason! Ricardo

jasonlioh

Ricardo, Are you part of the Pagelines/Platform PRO developer team? You guys weren't aware of it? I checked out those tinyurls, it links back to my older posts.

ricardo

Yes I am but that doesn't happen in any of the dbs from PlatformPro run sites. Ricardo

Simon

wordpress has temporary tables called transients that can have a timeout. They expire after a set time. We use these to store the shorturls for twitter, otherwise every pageload we have to query the tinyurl API. This way the urls are stored in the database and it speeds up the rendering of pages. They expire after 3600 seconds.

jasonlioh

Simon : In other words, the tables are actually part of the Twitter sharing algorithm at the social bar and I should leave it alone instead of deleting them in PHPMyAdmin. Am I right? Didn't know there's so much stuffs going on at the back end.

Simon

Here is how it works: Ifo you have your twitter name setup in PageLines settings, every post/page with the sharebar enabled makes a call to the tinyurl service to get a shorturl. This is fine on small sites, but large sites with lots of traffic soon use up all your daily allotted API calls allowed. So we added a caching feature, each shorturl gets cached with a wordpress transient, these expire automatically after 1 hour. This speeds up pageloads dramatically, as your no longer asking tinyurl for a shorturl on every pageload. Wordpress takes care of cleaning up the expired cache items.