Sign in to follow this  
wendygordon

possible facebook comments conflict

wendygordon

Hey there. I found a plug in that is supposed to add both the fb like and send buttons and also integrate comments. I can't get the comments to show up and i may have a conflict with it and platform pro. so, i tried it first with all plugins disabled - which didnt resolve the problem and then finally in the twenty ten theme which did. leading me to conclude that platform pro may have some fb code by default which is causing the conflict. I have nothing set up in the footer for the social links, I have moved all instances of the social bar into the not enabled template sections. At this point i am wondering if there is simply code I can disable. I checked fb linter and i dont seem to have any conflicts or instances of data being called twice. Any ideas. as always. thanks so much wendy

ricardo

It's most likely that your plugin is not properly configured or that it simply doesn't work. Facebook makes changes all the time and unless you have a plugin in active development, that's bound to happen. Ricardo

wendygordon

Ricardo, thank so much. but I know it works. i tested it in twentyten. 99,000 people have downloaded this plugin. it was updated yesterday. i have been in touch with the developer. he said all my settings are ok. and once i checked that it worked in twentyten, i should check to see if my them has a conflict with it. so. here i am. w

ricardo

Ok, can post the name and url of the plugin please? Ricardo

wendygordon

here you go. it is the same one you looked at before. Add link to facebook. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-link-to-facebook/ it has several features which work for the other 99,000 people, and not me. and i cant for my life figure out why. one of the items that doesnt work is to post the link to my page rather than my personal profile. (this is a setting option), the others all have to do with comments integration in both directions from fb to wordpress. the comments should be getting stored in wp and they are not. and the comments made in wp should be getting posted to fb and they are not. drivin me nuts! any help is appreciated. w

ricardo

That's the number of downloads, not the number of working installations. It doesn't mean a thing. I'll have a look. Ricardo

wendygordon

ok! i get your point :). but it's not like there are only 2 and i am trying to use some really weird, obscure plugin! jaja!

ricardo

It's not that Wendy, the problem is that FB keeps developing their platform and it's up to the plugin developers to catch up. Developing software that works in all possible server configurations is already complicated! Adding integration with a changing API and legacy code from the previous versions of the plugin can lead to disaster. Usually the best plugins are the ones which only do one thing only or keep everything apart in modules. This one tries to do everything and simply doesn't work as advertised. Comments are not synced, likes are posted to my profile, etc, basically the same problems as you described. I tested it in 4 different themes from 4 different providers and it didn't work with any of them. Nothing changed, exactly the same issues, which means the problem is not at presentation level. You said it worked for you with twenty ten so please, if you don't mind, change your theme to twenty ten and share your site's address so that we can see what's different. Ricardo