Sign in to follow this  
kwinix

Set default background Feature Slider image

kwinix

I am using the feature slider on my client's homepage to highlight the most recent articles. The site is a Chicago theater news and reviews site, so I'd like to use a static image for the slider background but still rotate in the article information. The site is currently located here: http://new.chicagotheatrereview.com Here's an image of how I'd like it to look... 20110515-td8g3sxmmash8rxqcuiac9i4td.preview.jpgClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch Basically I want to make it as easy as possible for my client to add articles to the site without having to set all of the slider options each time.

catrina

Hm, I'm not familiar with any plugin that enables a user to make posts that will automatically set slides relating to those posts in the feature slider. The easiest way to create those features is by going to the "Features" settings in the Dashboard and simply adding the content for a slide. The general feature settings will stay the same, but the only thing that has to be edited is the slide for each article that is featured in the slider (by going to Features > Add New Feature).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kwinix

Catrina, Thanks for the initial feedback. I have the homepage feature slider pulling content from my main "News & Reviews" post category, so it is pulling the content that I want (post title & excerpt). However, the settings for each "slide" are in each individual post's meta data. Essentially, if I want to have the same background for each slide (in this case the red curtain), the background image must be specified in each post manually so that it shows up correctly. Rather than setting the meta data for each post manually, I'd either like it to pre-fill or be set externally, perhaps through CSS, the child theme, or some other setting I'm not aware of. I'm looking to make posting new articles as easy as possible. I tried using the carousel feature instead of the slider which doesn't require the same amount of "work" for each new post, but we definitely like the look of the slider with the curtain better. Thanks again!

catrina

You might want to try something like this in the CSS if the background is just going to stay the same in all slides:

#feature-area div.feature-wrap {background-image: url('http://CURTAINIMAGEURL');}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kwinix

I may have found a solution - although I'm not sure how to implement it! The settings for the feature slider in each post are actually Wordpress "Custom Fields." So if I can find a way to ensure that each new post has the same custom field, then each new post will pre-fill with the settings that I need. This the added advantage of being able to change the background image if we need to, while a CSS fix would be permanent. I found a blog post that has code that can achieve this but I'm not sure where to put it. :-)

kwinix

After further searching, I've come across a plugin that accomplishes almost everything I'm trying to do. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-field-template/ It allows me to insert a section into the post editor with custom fields predefined. The only thing that I haven't been able to fully automate is assigning the post's URL to the "feature-link-url" field. But if that's the only thing that needs to be done each time, I think it's a win.