Sign in to follow this  
dkehote

What ecommerce plugin works best with Platform Pro?

dkehote

I'm a print designer (not a web coder at all) and I'm brand new to Wordpress. I'm considering Platform Pro to build our website to sell merchandise and take deposits on future manufactured goods. Any advice for a newbie?

catrina

The demo for PlatformPro is here in case you haven't seen it yet: http://www.pagelines.com/demos/platformpro/ I'm more of a print designer too and I think you'll find the drag and drop framework in the theme useful when you need to add and remove content. Certain customizations will require coding, but we could teach you how to handle that when the time comes.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

dkehote

Thanks for the demo link. Very nice work, btw. I should have put the title question in the body of my post, though; can you tell me what eCommerce plugin plays nicest with Platform Pro?

kastelic

I haven't used it for Platform Pro, but wp-e-commerce (http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/) is, as far as i know, the only ecommerce plugin taken seriously by anybody so far. While not perfect by a long shot, its the only one i've ever heard of thats even worth installing.

dkehote

Thanks, Jimmy. In your opinion, is it not advisable to build a site that I plan to use e-commerce on in Wordpress/Platform Pro then? It's just going to be a constant headache and a waste of time? I don't have enough money right now to hire it out to build it from scratch, so that's why I'm going this route.

kastelic

No I'm not saying that. For a relatively basic shopping cart I think your going to be just fine, I'm just saying that as far as I know, there's only one real choice right now and thats wp-ecommerce. If your looking for a more serious and robust shopping cart application you may want to check out magento.

ricardo

Dkehote, Depends a lot on what you want it for, your audience and your absolute requirements. For example, if you need posts as products, or a specific payment gateway, or a to have shipping costs calculate by geographic zone * weight * volume, or to change daily the tax rate, or to apply tax based on shipping destination/state/zip code, then there's going to be just one or two ecommerce packages that can do that. With some luck, it will play well with the other plugins, like multisite, or multilanguage, etc, but I often had to resort to proper tools like Magento. I honestly don't know by heart any package that will allow you to give and manage costumer credit. Regarding integration with PlatformPro, from the complex ecommerce packages, there's only 2 that I know that integrate well with PlatformPro: cart66 (cart66.com) and marketpress (wpmudev.org). Cart66's backend features is some somewhat disappointing comparing to the free Instinct's ecommerce plugin and has a few nagging shortcomings along the entire sale process, which is disturbing considering it's commonly called the best ecommerce plugin for wordpress. Marketpress is a well balanced plugin but has a couple of problems in PlatformPro due to its dependence on templates. That is the biggest problem with Instinct's plugin. Because everything depends so much on templates and because PlatformPro was built in a so different fashion, it simply doesn't work. If you can't find any plugin that deals with credit, have a look at Gravity Forms. Some days ago, while browsing the forum, read something similar in concept. Good luck! Ricardo