Sign in to follow this  
michaelmiles

Widget Issues (White House Pro)

michaelmiles

I'm having difficulty getting my widgets to reset. I have cleared out all widgets for main_sidebar, but widgets still show up. I can't re-order, remove, or replace widgets. I'm "stuck" with the same 3 widgets. I'm assuming that the front page will use any widgets in the main_sidebar widget container. Or, am I missing where these are set? http://www.michaelmiles.com

cmunns

Do you have any plugins that modify widgets? Also, check the box in the sidebar options for the theme options that says "hide sidebars when empty"

michaelmiles

I had installed TS Widgets, but didn't utilize (never went beyond turning it on). I have since removed that plugin thinking that could be the cause. The 'Hide sidebars when empty' option was unchecked, I checked off to see what happens and had no effect. Putting that back to unchecked. Thanks for the input!

michaelmiles

Sorry for confusion, this isn't resolved. In general, my Widgets are 'whacked'. I have removed all widgets except for "secondary_sidebar" that has 4 widgets. Only 3 of these widgets appear. On my main blog page, I have 3 widgets appear that are not reflected anywhere else on the site. No Idea why they are there. NO IDEA! So, on my secondary_sidebar I have: Related Posts (YARPP) (plugin) WP125 (ads) Text: Facebook Fan Page (html code) Advertisement: Adsense Code. On all my posts (I utilize Secondary_sidebar for posts) only the top 3 show up, the Adsense code widget is not there (anymore). On the Main Blog Page, I have this show up: WP125 (ads) Facebook Fan Page (custom HTML) Adsense Code What gives! Do I need to reset the entire site (somehow?)

jnoh

Hey MichaelMiles. So what you're seeing are the default widgets that appear when no widgets are entered. You'll want to make sure to check the option "To Hide Sidebars When Empty" under "WhiteHousePro Options > Sidebar Options". Also, in the same option screen make sure you specify the default sidebar. Whatever is set here will be what shows up on your Posts page.

michaelmiles

jnoh, I have no option to choose default sidebar. I'm using White House Pro.

Andrew

which version?

michaelmiles

I'm on WhiteHouse Pro 2.1.1 Wordpress 2.9.2

Andrew

all updated. Ok, so I think this is related to the way WP handles your posts/single pages. the Posts page will take the "meta" information from the most recent "post" Have you added any widgets to anything under 'appearance' > 'widgets'? btw. I like your 'favorite photos' page :)

michaelmiles

Thanks for the kudos! I do have widgets added, but not in main_sidbar Also, it has been mentioned this option of "choose default sidebar" in options, I have no such thing

jnoh

Michaelmiles, Just add the same widgets you have in the secondary sidebar in the main_sidebar.

michaelmiles

Well, I started this whole process with having Widgets in the main_sidebar, they won't show. I just placed widgets back into the main_sidebar, no matter what I do, they won't show. I can go ahead and place the same ones I have in the secondary sidebar, did that, they don't show. The front page of my blog will not change no matter what widgets I place where. So to break this down: 1) The widgets on my home page will not change. 2) The main_sidebar does nothing. 3) The secondary_side bar will only show 3 out of 4 widgets selected For the record, I've cleared them out, I've juggled between main, second and content sidebars every imaginable way. I get the feeling from other posts on this forum that others are having similar issues and that there is no known fix. I'm leery of re-installing as it will blow away all my settings....ugh...to re do all this work late at night....

jnoh

Hey MichaelMiles, Email me at hello@pagelines.com. I'll spend some more time with you to get this working right.

MatthewMarichiba

Did this issue get resolved? I have been experiencing something similar. At some point, the Appearance > Widgets "editor" seems to have unhinged from the actual website. I make changes to particular widgets. Nothing. I drag widgets around and turn different widgets on/off. Nothing. I change the "Display secondary sidebar" status for a page. Nothing. If you guys came to resolution in private, I'd appreciate if you could post the solution here. FYI, I did a Google search and it does appear that past versions of WP have had issues with widgets getting stuck in one state or the other. I recall a solution about "resetting widgets". Of course, now I can't find the exact thread again. Thanks, Matthew

Andrew

Ya, my guess is this is a WP or plugin issue(plugin issue very possible) we haven't experienced this in any of our test installs. If you think it might be theme related... really just let us know and we can investigate further.