Sign in to follow this  
glynt

Greek Characters

glynt

Hi, I want to create a version of my website in Greek, but the Greek characters are not recognised and are turned into question marks instead. Does anyone know how to solve this one??? Many thanks, Glyn

cmunns

Which characters? ALl of them or just some?

glynt

Hi Adam, All of them - pages, post, navigation. But I want the WordPress installation to remain in English. Cheers,

glynt

Hi Catrina, I copy and paste them from Word. As soon as I click 'publish' they change to question marks. I have UTF-8 set as my WordPress character encoding which is supposed to be able to support Greek characters.... Cheers

Kate

Hi Glyn, Have you considered using a plugin instead? Perhaps WPML?

glynt

Kate, Thanks so much, that is a superb option, just playing with it now.... Cheers

ricardo

Glyn, As far as I know, WP should support Greek out-of-the-box. Anyway, MS Word adds a lot of hidden characters and info to the text (mainly for style reasons) but usually they cause havoc when copied directly to wordpress. If you really need to write in Word, copy the text first to a Notepad .TXT files and then copy from the TXT to Wordpress. Ricardo

glynt

Thanks Ricardo, I have just tired that and it is still not working. I have also tried the WPML plug in that Kate suggested (which is a great plug in) and it does the same even with that even though it recognises it as Greek. Any more ideas much appreciated!! Thanks

catrina

Hm, have you tried using an online text editor where you can create the Greek characters and then copy and paste from that?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

glynt

Hi Catrina, I've solved it... My server database was set only for latin characters. It now works perfect. Thanks for the tip about the plugin though, it helps me in all sorts of other ways! Cheers