Sign in to follow this  
doflip

Overriding section.footcols.php

doflip

Hi, I'm using PlatformPro 1.4.0, I installed both PlatformPro and PlatformBase. I read that you can override section templates, I like the default footer (5 columns), but i want to change the order of the columns. The template that i want to change is located in /wp-content/themes/platformpro/sections/sidebars and it's called section.footcols.php I tryed to rename it to template.footcols.php and place him in the root of PlatformBase, but i receive the folowing error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class PageLinesFootCols in /home/softinsa/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/platformbase/template.footcols.php on line 112
What's the correct way of overriding the footer section, is it possible to do it without changing the main theme file? Thank you!

Kate

Hi Filipe, Two things... First: Try placing it in the same directory in base as it was in platformpro. So, it would be: platformbase/sections/sidebars/template.footcols.php But, the simpler option would simply be to rearrange things in the widgets area: Appearance->Widgets.

doflip

Hi Kate, thank you for your quick answer. Yes, I tried to place the file in the same path, the error is gone, but it does not override the footer. I know that i can make changes in the widgets, but I want to use the default behavior, and the available widgets do not behave in the same manner. For example in the default 5 column footer, the 3rd column "The Latest" has the tittle and the first lines of the content, while if i put a widget i can only get the tittle of the latest post. The only way i see it possible through widgets, is to use the text widget(and try my luck with some JavaScript?!?!), or develop my own widget(is it possible? can you point me into the right direction?) OR i just edit the main file.

doflip

Thank you again Kate, but i really would like to do that inside PlatformPro, rather than install another plugin :(

cmunns

You did it correctly the first time, but make sure that the template.footcols.php file inside of the -Base root ONLY contains what was inside the template_section function from the original file.

doflip

It worked for template.footcols.php, but I'm trying to do some customization to the banners section, and it get's a little tricky when you have functions being called from inside the template_section function. in the case of the banners section, you also need to include some additional functions. Thank you all

Nautical Progressions
this is the most confusing post in the forum :p where do the files go and what are they called? platformbase/sections/section.footcols.php as well as platformbase/template.footcols.php ???? I did so and it doesn't even show up anymore.