Sign in to follow this  
dherries

HTML on main page

dherries

I want to put an HTML / video on the main page but I want the information narrow enough to allow the side bar to show. I have tried Banner and Universal Sidebar but they are full width. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

timlinson

You can embed the video with a hook. You can find hook locations by clicking 'advanced setup' on the drag-and-drop boxes in template setup. This is an example for hooking into pagelines_before_theloop. You would need to activate platformbase as the active theme and put this in the platformbase/functions.php file to see it in action: ` function daves_video_hook() { ?>

testing testing
<?php } ` `add_action('pagelines_before_theloop', 'daves_video_hook');` more info here on hooks: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme

ricardo

Dave, Depends on your home page too. If it's static, you can just add the video to the content area and display it there. Ricardo

dherries

The Hook thing is way beyond me. I want to have both text and video you can get the idea at http://productivitymastery.com/ where I have a Banner with text. This would work but I want to Primary Sidebar to show on the right. Is there a component like Banner that will allow for the Sidebar? Ideas?

Kate

Hey Dave, Would you be open to changing the widths of the feature or banner with CSS? You could even do it for just the page in question. It's a quick, easy solution. You may need to pull the sidebar up with a negative margin... can't remember off the top of my head. Let us know your thoughts.

dherries

I think changing the width of the banner will work but I cannot find where is the CSS controls the width and the position of the banner. Also, not sure what you mean by a "negative margin" on the sidebar.

cmunns

I don't think that is an adequate solution. Try: ` #sidebar-wrap { position: relative; top: -400px; } ` you'll see that it leaves space on the bottom where the sidebar is supposed to be.

dherries

I would be happy if the system would just perform consistently. To get the sidebar to align correctly I have created another Banner and inserted it on http://productivitymastery.com/assumptions/ and as you can see it does not behave the same as the banner on the home page. All I want is for the sidebar to land in the same place on all of the pages it is active on. Any help is much appreciated.

catrina

Right now the sidebar appears to be behind the banners, resulting in overlap. Add this CSS to your custom code so that the sidebar moves down:

#page-main #sidebar-wrap {margin-top: 200px;}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

dherries

That does not solve the problem. It moves the sidebar down. Without your code the sidebar is working correctly on the main page: http://productivitymastery.com/ But on the Assumptions page it behaves differently. http://productivitymastery.com/assumptions/ It appears that the Banner on the main page is allowing for the sidebar to be positioned correctly but the Banner on the Assumptions page is not working the same. See the above items to see what I have put in the CSS to make the Banner on the Main Page work correctly.

kastelic

Looks like its fixed. The pages look the same to me in all browsers.

dherries

I have been messing around with the banners. It appears that the position of the sidebar is driven by the position of the "bottom" of the Banner. If I put a graphic/video in the banner the sidebar repositions itself depending on how high the text and graphic are. The larger the image/text area the lower the sidebar. In order to make it work right I can put a single line of text and a graphic of about 300 px. There should be a better way.

kastelic

I'd have to echo Ricardo on this one, why not just embed the video right in the content area?

catrina

The content area is the same as the post area. I think you can embed the video in that area using a hook.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse