Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Completely confused about support Platform Pro vs. Themes

Ian

I know people have been beating on you about the quality of your support vs. the quality of the software... but it is very frustrating for a rookie. For example: 1) Many of your videos show images from Platform Pro which have some similarities, but many differences, from the themes... consequently, I don't know how do accomplish many of the things I want because the videos are based on Platform Pro. Examples include soapboxes (I can't find how to use soapboxes in WhiteHousePro), boxes (they don't appear on the left menu in the admin area of WhiteHousePro), and others. 2) You regularly omit explaining the purpose and function of each element of the software. Someone in a post referred to this as not providing context. For example, "What's it for?", "Why is it useful?", "When might it not be useful?", "What does it accomplish?", "What are some good examples of where it's been used?", etc. You (occasionally) tell us how to use it, but many times you never tell us what "it" is. 3) The admin area says that BuddyPress is ready but I need a compatible theme. I thought that WhiteHousePro was a compatible theme??? What am I missing? 4) Deep integration of bbPress and WhiteHousePro is too difficult for a rookie, and the instructions assume that a person knows the syntax to properly enter the path to the correct php file... I don't have that much knowledge, and your instructions are not very thorough. Honestly, I feel like I've been sold a Ferrari and then shipped the parts and the instruction manual with a very pleasant and courteous "Good Luck Assembling Your New Ferrari"... What can you do to help me?

kastelic

Many people who find the theme or wordpress overwhelming or confusing come to the forum and are able to get through their problems and end up happy with the product. The best way is to post with one specific question per thread, give a link to your site and try to be as clear and thorough as possible with the issue you are having. As for bbpress, what are the exact steps you took to install it?

Ian

Jimmy... very gracious of you to answer my ballistic rant with such a measured reply... the girls must love you :) Let's start with bbPress. I don't recall specific steps... I think I installed it three different times, three different ways. Here's what I remember (which may not be very helpful)... I originally thought bbPress was a 'plugin' so I FTP'd it into the WP plugin folder. It didn't show up as a WP plugin to be activated, so I deleted it from the plugin folder. Then I installed it in the root of my domain, but that didn't help. Then I used WP's upload plugin functionality to install it (I think). Still doesn't show up in the list of plugins. So... where it stands now is... I have BuddyPress (and Template Pack) installed. The admin section still wants a BuddyPress-compatible template. As for bbPress, it is uploaded to the plugins folder, but doesn't show up anywhere that I can see in the WP admin section. BTW, somewhere along the line (since I couldn't find a bb-config.php file) I renamed the bb-config-sample.php to bb-config.php. I assume I have to add the code about WP in order to "deep integrate" but I don't know how (a) how to get the syntax right, and (B) how to get bbPress properly installed. I hope that confusing data dump helps... Thanks for your patience.

kastelic

Okay here's what I would do. 1. Get into your root directory or whatever directory your wordpress install is, and make a new folder called "forum" Put all the bbpress files in there, exactly as they are when you downloaded them, not all in one folder like "bbpress" or whatever, you want to be able to click on "forum" and see all the files and folders that make up bbpress. 2. Make a new database. To do this is different for whatever hosting package you have or your host may have phpMyadmin. Follow the intructions that your hosting company provides you but its pretty simple. Basically you are just creating a new database which will have a name, a user name, and a password and thats it. Keep this open because you need this information. 3. Now open up your browser and visit the url where bbpress was placed, (http://yoursite.com/forum). This is where the installation will happen which will automatically create the config file for you (thats where you went wrong, trying to manually edit it.) Insert all your info and you'll be all installed. 4. If you want to deep integrate follow these instructions from the Pagelines Docs: Open bb-config.php in the bbPress directory and add this line: require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . ???/../wp-load.php??™) at the top of the file.

Ian

Thanks Jimmy... I'm getting started right now... First question... Within the forum folder, does it look like this: -forum -bbpress -bb-admin -bb-includes -etc. or like this: -forum -bb-admin -bb-includes -etc. Thx.

Ian

Oops, my indentation didn't work, but I hope you get the idea.

Ian

I'm pretty sure you meant the latter (i.e. the bbpress folder disappears when I copy everything into 'forum').

kastelic

Yeah, you want forum to contain bb-admin and all the others.

Ian

Sorry to be a dweeb, Jimmy, but I'm still confused. I copied all the files as you asked. I created the database. When I typed Called2Communicate.com/forum, I got an error "Cannot establish database connection". So I called NetworkSolutions (my hosting provider). They did something on the backend so that now the WhiteHousePro forum page from the demo content comes up. I was kind of expecting some sort of script to be run to ask me a bunch of questions... So... am I done (other that the deep integration issue)? Thanks. Ian

Ian

Don't worry about it Jimmy... NetworkSolutions messed something up. Now, I can't even look at the forum folder with my FTP client... I'll have to get back to NetworkSolutions and have them undo what they did. I am curious, thought, why it couldn't make the database connection. Does it have something to do with the fact that I have multiple domains in the same hosting package?

Ian

Okay, I'm back on track. I think I had renamed bb-config-sample.php to bb-config.php back when I was trying all kinds of goofy stuff. I just deleted the whole forum folder and uploaded it all again. I'm at the bbPress install page and need to wait for the database to propagate on the server. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ian

Got to the bbPress install page. Waited about 30-45 minutes for the database to propagate (webhost said 15 minutes, max). Got the error: There was a problem connecting to the database you specified. Please check the settings, then try again. Settings were correct, so I'm a little bit at a loss. I could delete the database and try again I suppose. Any ideas?

Ian

Jimmy, I deleted to old database, and created it again with the same name, userid and p-word, but got the same error. So I'm stuck at this point. Any suggestions you have would be helpful. Thanks, Ian

timlinson
Settings were correct, so I'm a little bit at a loss.
Are you just basing this on having the correct username and password? It could very well be a wrong db host name, especially based on your comment here:
I am curious, thought, why it couldn't make the database connection. Does it have something to do with the fact that I have multiple domains in the same hosting package?
There are a lot of bbpress threads on this issue, but this one seems most relevant to you: http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/there-was-a-problem-connecting-to-the-database-you-specifiedplease-check-the-s

Ian

Tim, You were right... I needed to specify more information under the advanced settings. So I did that... and I was successful in installing bbPress. But... When it came to deep integration... not so much :( I tried a couple of things: The instructions from pagelines give differing instructions... some say add the following line at the top of the bb-config.php file: require_once('/data/26/1/105/67/1594230/user/1717744/htdocs/Called2Communicate/wp-load.php'); Other say add the following line at the bottom of the file: require_once('/data/26/1/105/67/1594230/user/1717744/htdocs/Called2Communicate/wp-blog-header.php'); Unfortunately, both of these choices generate a blank screen (which you will see if you go to http://Called2Communicate.com/forum/ I checked with my host, and the absolute address is correct so there's something else wrong... any ideas? Thanks for your continuing support and patience. Ian

timlinson

When you say you add it at the beginning and end, are you keeping the code below the `<?php` tag and above the `?>` tag? If so, try this line verbatim instead: `require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/../wp-load.php');` Also are you using the WP Super Cache plugin? (http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/8554) And see if this applies to you: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/6998#post-37855

Ian

Tim, You da man! You were right on the money... ! I have one last question before I close this and bury you in kharma... Now that I have deactivated WPSuperCache... -Can I reactivate without incident, and if not, -what do you recommend as a friendly caching plug-in to speed up WordPress? Thanks again. Ian

Kate

Hi Ian, I would give it a shot. You can always remove the plugin if it doesn't work. Also, while WPSuperCache is definitely the most popular caching plugin, you can search for others in the WP repository: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Ian

Thanks Kate... Unfortunately the forum generates a blank page when WPSuperCache is enabled (even after the forum has successfully been set up). I'll have to try something else. Thanks for all your help. Ian

Simon

Super-cache would not be a good idea for a forum. It caches each page as a HTML file on the server, for faster delivery, so it does not have to be parsed as PHP. But, with a forum, if somebody replies, the URL will remain the same, but the page changes. The cache will serve the HTML cached copy and your users will not see the reply intil the cache expires. Not really a useful forum experience! There may be workarounds, but im not sure. We sont cache any pages on these forums.

Ian

Thanks Simon. Is there such a thing as a caching plug-in that excludes certain parts of the domain tree (e.g. excludes www.mydomainname.com/forum, but includes all the rest)? That would seem to be an ideal solution, but I have no idea if caching plugins do that. Cheers, Ian