Sign in to follow this  
artemesia66

Sidebar Confusion

artemesia66

I'm working with two sidebars: Primary Sidebar, which I want to have show on all pages except blog related pages, and Base Sidebar, which I want to have show on all blog related pages (listing, category, tags, individual posts). I have both sidebars loaded into Sidebar 1. Primary Sidebar is set to Hide on Posts Pages. Base Sidebar is set to Hide by Default, and Show on Posts Pages. But these settings only seem to affect the main blog listing page. All the other blog-related pages (single, tags, categories) show the primary sidebar. What am i missing? How can I achieve what I want?

artemesia66

Okay, I think I've figured out what's going on. The only sidebars that are going show on category/tag/archive pages are ones that are on by default. The "show on posts pages" option just doesn't touch those pages. But weirdly, the "Hide on posts pages" does have an effect. So the ugly answer in my case is to set all the sidebars to be on all the time, set the primary sidebar to Hide on post pages, and then turn the blog (base) sidebar off page-by-page on all the non blog pages. all 50 of them. ouch.

artemesia66

Actually, I don't think "Hide on posts pages" does affect category/tag/archive pages. When I looked more closely at the things I'd tried, I was still using .category, .tag #sidebar_primary{display:none} in the css to remove the primary sidebar from the category and tag pages. I have archives disabled.

catrina
All the other blog-related pages (single, tags, categories) show the primary sidebar.
Have you tried changing the post editor settings for the sidebar (on the right side)? These settings are also in the page editor in case you also want to edit the sidebar settings for the regular pages.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

artemesia66

You can change the settings for individual posts, but I don't believe there's anyway to address the category/tag/archive pages.

Kate

Hi Janet, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do... sorry! If you want to turn sidebars off on all pages, without using the checkbox on each page, you could use:

.page #sidebar_primary{display:none}
For categories and archives:
.archive #sidebar_primary{display:none;}
For single pages:
.single #sidebar_primary{display:none;}

artemesia66

Hi Kate, I want one sidebar on the blog pages, including the category/tag/archive pages, and one set on all the other pages. It seems to me that the setting "Show/Hide on posts pages" should affect those pages, but it doesn't. It only affects the blog listing page. In any case, you're right that using CSS in this situation would be smarter than using the checkboxes.

cmunns

Did you try using the Widget Logic plugin in conjunction with what you are already doing...then you can use `is_category()` to show the widget on category pages etc.