Sign in to follow this  
jeomiland

2-main top Nav bars, 1 desired, where is ultimate control?

jeomiland

AGo to http://itaptouch.com/dev/ and click on Blog in Top nav. You will next see 2 top nav bars on the Blog landing/Main page - different than other top-level pages. (Either 2 or 1 depending what controls I'm messing with.) But when only 1 bar, it's the small one, not the Main Nav you see on home page. The Blog page is set as default at which to receive and display posts. Thanks in advance for you help. May your projects flow as smoothly as honey... ~ JEO

ricardo

Hi John! I only see one, with tiny text! Ricardo

jeomiland

Hi Ricardo Yes that's exactly the problem. How to get rid of that small text nav and have only the bigger nav that show up on all other pages? I've created a separate "Blog" page to link to from the universal Nav and this Blog page should look like the other pages, with that same larger Nav and a list of posts. But instead, the Blog page shows up with this other nav (small text) Any ideas how to best work with separate Blog landing pages? JE

catrina

You can use CSS to alter that tiny text navigation:

#secondnav {font-size: 12px;}

Just add this to the custom CSS area or the base.css file.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

ricardo

John, I'm not sure how you did it but that nav bar in the blog page is the Secondary Nav, so either remove that section from the from that specific template and replace it with the Navigation section in the Template Setup page or hide it in the blog page, not sure how you have setup your site. As for best practice with setting up Blog page, I would say: create a page, set it as the Post Page in Settings > Reading and change it in PlatformPro Settings > Blog and Posts. Ricardo

jeomiland

Thank you for your replys Katrina, Ricardo When I setup a page, I can get it to look like the rest of the site. I just setup a new one called http://itaptouch.com/dev/new-blog-page/. As soon as I go to Wordpress reading settings and make that page (or the original blog page) the default Blog page, the primary nav disapears and the secondary (smaller text, no search box) becomes the top Nav bar. I go into PL settings for Blog and Posts and see Magazine and Blog layout as choices but nothing about navigation bars and other settings that would explain why the Primary nav disappears and the secondary shows up. Then I go into Pages and Edit page for this default blog landing page and here are the main settings: - Show site branding - Show navigation - Hide Secondary Nav - Show Comment Form - Show Universal Sidebar - Show Primary sidebar - Hide secondary sidebar And the result is the Blog page at link above. Any insights or help are most appreciated. Again, the page looks fine till I go to WP settings and choose it as the Posts default page in Reading Settings????????? Thanks John

catrina

When you go to Settings > Header And Nav > Posts Page Secondary Navigation, is a secondary menu selected?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

jeomiland

Quick update Since I've now set http://itaptouch.com/dev/new-blog-page/ as the blog page (in Settings : Reading) the Blog link from top nav bar goes to the previous Blog page http://itaptouch.com/dev/marine-moble-apps-blog/ and that's formatted as I wish it to be - But no posts appear on this page!!! When I set the page in WP Settings Reading, I get the posts but the funky layout (with that small text, secondary nav, no sidebar, no search in top nav,...) There has to be some simple thing I am overlooking. Hoping someone can open my eyes, as this seems like a fundamental issue that others surely must have encountered? Thanks again john

catrina

For marine-moble-apps-blog, did you double check to see if there are posts for it? Did you check Settings > Template Setup > Post Pages (or Posts Page Content Area) to make sure the content or main content sections are enabled?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

jeomiland

Hi Catrina That setting is for a footer menu I had made for testing. Just now changed to my Main primary menu and that seemed to change the menu (it now includes link for Blog that was not in previous menu) BUT still in small font and no search box and no right side bar. Again the 2 pages to compare are: http://itaptouch.com/dev/new-blog-page/ (new blog page set in Settings:Reading) http://itaptouch.com/dev/marine-moble-apps-blog/ (linked to from primary nav, but NOT set as blog page in Settings:Reading JE

jeomiland

Hi Catrina For http://itaptouch.com/dev/new-blog-page/, I can see my sample post listed (but this Blog landing page has the issues mentioned). then when I click on that post, I get to the individual post page and THAT page looks fine - just the aggregate "Blog landing page"??? I checked the setting you mention and see Content Area block is in the Displayed Post Pages Section column. je

catrina

It looks like the Page Meta Settings, Template Setup, and the other options in the theme's general settings are all set up the way they should. The root of the problem looks to be the Reading settings and the CSS. I'm not sure why the navigation text size would be reduced since there is no CSS you changed for that...

Designer | Catrina Dulay

jeomiland

OK Just found Hide on Posts Pages was checked in Primary Site Navigation in the Site Header template setup. So now I have the Primary Nav back (YEAH!!!) but still looking where to get the sidebar active? je

jeomiland

Ok After manipulating all those settings areas, finally got it working the way I planed. Thanks so much you guys for your help - what a great developer community!!! Hope I can gain enough experience in PL soon to answer some of YOUR questions... JE

raphunk

Hi Guys, How do I change the font-family on the main-nav. I have been successfull with color, bg, even size but not font family. Please help! Project is going live soon. thanks, R.