Sign in to follow this  
Keith Vaugh

Multi Language site

Keith Vaugh

Hi all. How could a multi language site be implemented? Basically, I have a site I'm working on, a number of pages are in a formate that will not need translation (as well as the blog), but there are a few pages (possibly 4+) that I will need to render in French and German as well as the buttons. Is there any method that could be implemented? Thanks in advance.

Keith Vaugh

That plug i might just do the trick. I've tried using some in the past which render the site in the various languages based on where they are accessed from but the translation was very poor Came across this link- http://wprocks.com/wordpress-tips/what-it-takes-to-internationalize-a-theme/ But fear I don't have the necessary coding skills to attempt.

ricardo

Keith, If only a hand full of pages from the entire main site, need a different language version, then don't bother to install a plugin. Your best option is to use WP's multi-site ability to create 2 additional blogs (FR and DE), where you'll install the appropriate language files (to have the interface in that language) and publish those pages. You'll just need to install a localization plugin to translate a few rogue words and phrases in the PlatformPro theme. Ricardo

Keith Vaugh

Hi All thanks for the advise. I eventually opted for a plugin, qTranslate which allowed me to input the text for each language manually on the various pages. It also has localisation. To customise a little and add the language flags I add the following code to the Styles.css file (note I did change the vales for top and left (lines 3 and 4 below):

#qtranslate-chooser {
	   position:relative;
	   top:-12px;
	   left:0px;
	   list-style:none;
	}
	#qtranslate-chooser li {
	   float:right;
	   margin-right:12px;
	   opacity:0.5;
	}
	#qtranslate-chooser li.active {
	   -moz-box-shadow:0 0 3px 1px #000000;
	   box-shadow:0 0 3px 1px #000000;
	   opacity:1;
	}
	#qtranslate-chooser li:hover {
	   opacity:1;
	}
To the template.branding.php (near the top of the file)
<?php echo qtrans_generateLanguageSelectCode('image'); ?>

As soon as I make the site live I'll provide a link.