Sign in to follow this  
interfuel

Anther Carousel question: can I decide which Posts it manages?

interfuel

With the Carousel set to "Post Thumbnails" mode, can I choose which Categories / Posts the Carousel manages? A parallel example would be with the Carousel set to "NextGen" mode, I can assign a Gallery ID. In the same way, I want to assign a Category ID in "Post Thumbnail" mode. Possible?

cmunns

Not currently, but in the next version yes.

interfuel

Ok, thanks for the reply. Another thing that would be nice in the next version is if the Carousel mouse-over effect as shown in the Demo (which uses the Post mode) would work in the NextGen mode. As it is now, if you use the NextGen mode, the Carousel does not behave like the Demo without a major workaround. Specifically, on mouse-over, the little black box that appears over the bottom of the image in the Demo only happens in one mode, Post mode. If a client wants to use NextGen mode, s/he still expects to see the little black box on mouse-over. And why not? But, this is only accomplished with a major workaround in the source files. (I have done it.) Another enhancement that would be handy in the next version is to be able to add custom URLs to the carousel images in NextGen mode. I was able to do this, too, with the Next-Gen Custom Fields plugin and re-engineering the NextGen widget. Not to editorialize, and I mean this only as friendly feedback, but both of the above items seem like minimum functionality one would expect. They are not that difficult to add, and it's a little puzzling to me that the functionality is not part of the theme out of the box. Hope this info is useful. ;) Frank

onespirit

I concur Frank! I've been having huge problems implementing this myself and when I bought the theme, it was my original intention to do just that. As the carousel itself is quite aesthetically pleasing and pictures attract people it's only natural one would wish to use it for navigation as well.

interfuel

Appreciate knowing this is coming, and thanks for the replies. For now, here's a bit of detail on how I got around this issue: 1. The mouse-over effect on Post Mode is coded into

iblogpro/pro/template_carousel.php
. It looks like this:
img class="list_thumb list-thumb"
and
<?php echo $image->description; ?></span>
I copied it over to
iblogpro/nggallery/gallery-plcarousel.php
. I may have also added some styles to
iblogpro/pro/pro.css
and
iblogpro/css/custom.css
(Add this file if it's not already there. It will honor custom styles over the theme's default styles in other stylesheets -- most of the time.) 2. Go to the page that's using the Carousel and set it to NextGen Mode. 3. To create custom URLs, I installed the Next-Gen Custom Fields plugin. Here you can define custom fields on a gallery-by-gallery basis. For the record, I created two custom fields, one called "Link" and another called "Target". This allows me to specify custom URLs for the carousel images, and to force a custom target window (i.e. new window for links to outside web sites, if my client wants that). The code change for this also happens in
iblogpro/nggallery/gallery-plcarousel.php
. Replace this:
href="<?php echo $image->imageURL ?>"
With this (presuming your custom field is named "Link"):
href="<?php echo nggcf_get_field($image->pid, 'Link') ?>"
Then on the same line add this for the target (presuming your custom field is named "Target"):
target="<?php echo nggcf_get_field($image->pid, 'Target') ?>"
Part of this workaround came from a couple of quite helpful articles I found by a developer named Kim Woodbridge, so many kudos to her. This tactic is also useful if you're using the NextGen plugin as a sidebar widget. In that case, you would code your NextGen Custom Fields and mouse-over elements into
plugins/nextgen-gallery/widgets/widgets.php

in the areas of roughly lines 300 - 350. Any flaws with this approach, please provide feedback. Good luck! Frank

yassine

Just so you know, platformpro does handle your first request(about selecting posts category)...