Sign in to follow this  
hughhempel

Carousels in Post/Page Content Areas...

hughhempel

Is it only me that would like to add a carousel to one of my pages specifically? The option to add the carousel as default in the template layout is missing... Seems like a natural extension of the Platform features to be able to include them in the page/post content just like a universal sidebar... I suspect I am missing something... Is this the intention of the carousel template? Thanks,

hughhempel

Sorry... To be more clear, I understand that the carousel page template adds the carousel to the page(s), but the location of that carousel in that template simply mimics the same location that is provided by adding the carousel to the header template at the bottom... Seems to make more sense to have the carousel UNDER the main content in that template... Is this an easy fix with a custom template or "base" mods to the "carousel template"? While on the subject, what the hell are "page.alpha, page.beta, etc... templates"? Why would any sane developer label custom page templates with such inane naming conventions? Is there some form of cross reference somewhere or I am I left to figure it out? I suggest that "carousel.page.template" would have been wonderful...

ricardo

Hugh, Missing?! You can add the carousel to almost every template in the PlatformPro Settings > Template Setup. I suspect you spend more time looking at the code than in the admin area ;) For what you are trying to achieve, I would advise adding it at least to the Single Post Page and to the Default Page. Ricardo

kevin369

Hugh, Goto - Settings > Template Setup. Select 'Default Page' or 'Post Page' from the dropdown box. Drag 'Pagelines Carousel' from the right side and drop it under 'Content Area' on the left side. Voila!

hughhempel

Hi Kevin/Ricardo, Thanks tons for the replies! Just returning from a 3 day trip, sorry for the slow response... I wish it were as easy as you say (I expected it to be)... Check out the following 3 "Jing Snips": Page Content Post Pages Single Posts As you will see, I am not offered the option to include the Carousel in any one of the 3 scenarios that you both implied should be available... This was the first place I looked of course... Is there some setting that enables the carousel (or disables)? Do I need to "customize" a template? Plugin conflict? Thanks again! I would really like to sort this out... Best, Hugh

kastelic

You don't add it in the content areas, you add it in the page templates themselves. What you are looking at in those screenshots is like the template within a template. You can put it in any of the page templates (all the ones under the subheading "page templates" in the dropdown) including the ones Kevin mentioned. The content areas that reside within those page templates are also drag-and-drop but don't have the same sections.

ricardo

Hugh, I only realized now *where* you want to add the carousel. I got lost in the rest of the text. Sorry, you can only add the carousel to any area that goes side to side. There's a few threads on this subject, some people are working on that. Search the forum. Ricardo

kiacat

Hope this is accepted as constructive input to help explain the design challenge of using the carousel. The problem that I am experiencing with placement of the carousel is my content and the gallery of images I want to show get separated, especially if there are several widgets in the sidebar that extend the length of the page. In this way, the content is at the top and the carousel is out of sight at the bottom of the page. If I was a visitor to the page and didn't know there were pictures, I probably wouldn't know that I need scroll down to the bottom of the page to find them. The only way I can think to fix this is to write a note in the text to say "scroll down to the bottom of the page to see pictures". That would work but the layout would be much more efficient if the carousel could be situated immediately below the text rather than at the bottom of the page. My guess is there is some sort of easy way to work around this but I haven't figured it out yet. Any suggestions on how to get around this would be appreciated.

ricardo

Roger, Considering your usage scenario I would prefer a gallery based solution. If you have that much space due to long sidebars, then a solution where you can have 2 or 3 lines of thumbs, balances it out much better. Ricardo

kiacat

Ricardo Went with your suggestion and am moving on with the site setup using galleries. Thanks for your help. Roger

ricardo

You're welcome! =) Good luck! Ricardo