Sign in to follow this  
mark8213

I want to add posts to the main page and a separate page

mark8213

When I write a post I want this post to sometimes show on the main page, but always be under the page that is related to that topic. Can you let me know how to do this.

cmunns

If you have a page menu that links to certain categories it should do this automatically..except linking to the main page only at certain times would require a code hack.

mark8213

Forgive me for my ignorance, this is my first site, and I am teaching myself, with what info I can find and just plain old figuring it out. I have a menu and a page and a category attached to that menu. However it does not allow the posts to show. I can still only see the posts on the main page.

timlinson
I have a menu and a page and a category attached to that menu.
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. A link to your site would help us understand what you've tried so far. Say you have a WP category called "Hobbies." The Hobbies category page will only show posts that have been marked by you as a Hobbies category. The blog page will show all posts from all categories. You can go to Appearance > Menus and include a link to the Hobbies category page url, and then set it as your primary navigation in the dropdown menu. When you click on the Hobbies link in the nav, it will take you to the Hobbies category page that only contains Hobbies posts.

joel

Tim, I follow you, and this is what I've been trying to do with my page http://arizonatravelers.com but It won't do a dropdown menu for subcategories in the menu function. I used the other menu and like the look and feel of it but it only does pages not categories. Is there a way to 1) get the menu to drop down? 2) change the font size and style? 3) I would love the hover effect from the pagelines menu but that might be too much to ask.

Kate

Hi Joel, You can manually add the subcategories using a custom menu.

joel

I used the WP menu option and the way it looks there are subcategories for the main menu. For instance I have Williams with many subcategories below it. Those aren't showing up. Which means i'm probably missing some step. any more tips Kate?

cmunns

Did you enable the drop down menu option in Header and Nav options?

joel

Yes, all those 3 are checked

joel

This navigation is also the Posts Page secondary navigation. I don't know if that makes a difference.

catrina

Yes, it does make a difference. The secondary navigation menu doesn't have dropdown capability. Only the primary navigation does.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

joel

Has anyone had any success with custom menus based off categories? I'm trying to use the NAVT plugin but can't seem to get it to work correctly as there is no "mange" portion of WP now.

catrina

What is the "NAVT plugin" you're referring to? (I'm quite sure it's a typo...)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Kate

Hey Joel, With the sub menu items, you have to make sure that they are indented below the item you want them to be a child of. To do this, while looking at the menu edit screen, you grab one of the items and drag it to the right. Its new position will be highlighted/outlined. I just checked the code, and I see that the sub items aren't even being generated. Make sure of two things: first of all, that you've added the sub-category items. Second: you have to activate your custom menu. On the menu edit screen, in the left column there's a box titled "Theme Locations". Under the "Primary Website Navigation", choose the custom menu you created and select "save".

joel

Yeah, I've done all of that...uggg, this is frustrating.

joel

YES!! I think I finally figured it out! had some things switched incorrectly. Now to test it all with a bunch of posts and see how it goes. If you were local I would buy you all a beer (or more) tonight! THANKS EVERYONE!!! I apologize for my stupidity

mark8213

I was having some of the same issues Joel was having and the questions he asked fixed that. The main issue I was having was when I make a post, has categories attached, the post will show up on the main page http://nd2knw.com, but not under the sub page. If you click the Paintball tab at the top there is not posts?!?!

catrina

Mark, do you still need assistance with this or was the problem solved?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

mark8213

Catrina I do still need help.

catrina

I believe that "Paintball" page is just a normal page, not a category page containing posts. I think you'll need to set up a category page for "Paintball" first and then add that link to the navigation menu using custom menus.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

mark8213

Ok I am not really sure of the difference between the pages. All the pages I set up are all set up the same way. Under pages I added a page, Gave it a name under Menu Name, and added the categories from the left. Now if you go here http://nd2knw.com/paintball you see "custom link added" and Paintball which go to the same place, http://nd2knw.com/category/paintball'>http://nd2knw.com/category/paintball I guess what I want is to be able to go to a category via the navigation at the top. With out it saying Currently viewing the category: "Paintball" as it currently does on http://nd2knw.com/category/paintball'>http://nd2knw.com/category/paintball

catrina

Ah, I see it now. If you use a Custom Menu (Appearance > Menus), you can add the link http://nd2knw.com/category/paintball as a menu item to the primary navigation. That way, when you click on it in the menu, it goes to the category page automatically. Once you've done that, there is a way to hide that "Currently viewing..." text at the top of the page and you won't need a separate normal "Paintball" page.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

mark8213

Thanks for the help. I made one menu and under that put all the categories as custom links and nested the ones i wanted to go in the drop down. all works like i want it to. The only thing left that I cant figure out is the removal of the "Currently Viewing..." text at the top. Anyone know the answer to that?