Sign in to follow this  
znagle

Displaying and Filtering Child Box Sets

znagle

I have a retail clothing site where I use boxes for product thumbnails/links. I have a box set called "women" that has several child box sets for categories such as "dresses", "t-shirts", "tank tops", etc. The "women" box set has a corresponding page that displays all of the women boxes including the child sets. My goal is to display a list of all the child box set names. When the user clicks one, only those boxes will be displayed. Does this make any sense? I've seen similar functionality for post types in a lot of Wordpress templates. Does anyone know of a way to implement something like this for Platform Pro? If not, is there an easy way to output the child box set names as links to corresponding pages?

cmunns

wouldn't you just make sure to check both the parent and the child set when you are choosing the taxonomies? or am I misunderstanding

znagle

That's how I'm getting the static pages to work, but I want to be able to have the boxes change on the fly when the user clicks a taxonomy name, like you see here Or if I can't pull off the fancy jQuery/AJAX stuff, is there a simple way to add a list of links above the boxes -- then I could point them to static pages for each taxonomy.

ricardo

Zach, Correct me if I'm wrong but you are replicating the category product structure with Pages and adding the corresponding box set to each, right? Ricardo

znagle

Hi Ricardo, Basically. I have done that for certain categories. For example, I have a parent category (box set), Accessories, that has just two subcategories (child box sets), Winter Items and Sunglasses. In this case creating a page for each like you've described works fine because there are only two subcategories. But for the parent category Women, there are over half a dozen subcategories. I could replicate the product structure like I do for Accessories, but I want users to be able to navigate to the subcategories from the main Women's page with links that are styled similar to breadcrumb links. I don't want to add the subcategories to my main dropdown menu because it will get too cluttered and spread the inventory too thin.

ricardo

Well.. that's the problem. Not only boxes are not a taxonomy but apparently you're also expecting 2 concurrent behaviors from the way you're organizing the information. I'm assuming the products are either posts or a specific post type created by an e-commerce plugin and that you have created and classified each one in the same category structure you are using in boxes. Am I correct? Ricardo

znagle

My bad. I was under the impression that boxes were a custom post type and that box sets were taxonomies. Sorry for the confusion. Each product has a page and a box, both created manually. The page contains product photos and a shortcode that adds the ecommerce functionality. Each box consists of a thumbnail image and title that links to the product page. The pages and boxes are not structured identically. The pages are only children of the main categories (Men's, Womens, Accessories, Vintage) with no subcategorization. For example, a page for plaid sunglasses is a direct child of the page Accessories, it is not a child of the page Sunglasses. Sunglasses is a page set to display the Sunglasses box set, which is a child of the Accessories box set. Things are structured this way so that I can recategorize products via box sets after they are initially added to the site without having to worry about updating page links. Thanks for your help!

cmunns

Well boxes are technically custom post types but they don't behave like a custom post type loop would. Secondly This is what's confusing me. Why not just do this:yJlmc.jpg So you can control which sets you want easier.

znagle

Adam, That is what I'm doing. And each child set has a corresponding page which is set to display the boxes in that child set. This is what the box settings look like for a tank top a205d43941a5dac56f45.jpg What I'm trying to find is the best way to display a series of links on a page, one for each child box set of a given parent box set. So for this parent, Women, I want to put links on the all of the corresponding pages for Basics, Dresses, Leggings, T-Shirts, Tank Tops, and Tops so that users can navigate between each page. I do not want to just add these pages to the dropdown nav. I'm sorry this is so confusing. I need to work on writing for clarity.

ricardo

Zach, your writing is clear but the way you're doing this is not =) In case it's not clear for you, your problem is that you have built this upon box-sets and unfortunately, that taxonomy is not exposed. If it was, you wouldn't be using Pages to go around that shortcoming and you wouldn't have this problem. Unless Adam has a better solution, here's my advice: - Instead of the box & page combo, use posts (or a new post type based on them). Replace box-sets and boxes with Categories and the pages by Tags. Categories allows you the tree structure and multiple level selection you need and the Tags the quick and easy way to gather posts under one or more "umbrella" classifiers. If by any chance you need sub-levels, then create a new taxonomy that suits your needs. With some template tweaking and CSS you can mimic the look and functionality of boxes. You can now benefit from the thousands of plugins that alter categories, tags and posts and I'm sure there's at least a hand-full that will work like the example you posted above. Using a plugin, you can also add an image to each category and tag, thus bringing closer the resemblance with your current setup. Last but not least, this will allow for complex queries like "products in Cat A and Tags B but not C" and you can also use the WP menu system to create as many menus as you like, organized and sorted as you want. This means that "Plaid Sunglasses" will always be a subcategory of "Sunglasses" but can appear in the menus simultaneously under "Accessories", "Summer Essentials" and "What not to wear indoors" =) Ricardo