Sign in to follow this  
timothy

Shrinking Main Column More

timothy

Hello, 3 simple questions: 1. How do I shrink the main column of the layout to less than 800? (It's a single column layout) 2. How do I make the category pages show the full blog post, rather than excerpts (I already switch it OUT of magazine mode) 3. I have a membership plug-in, and each time a user logs in, the WordPress admin bar appears at the top of their page. I'm adding this here, because I want to know if you've ever had experiencing having to shut that off? Thanks so much for your assistance. Yours, Timothy

Kate

Hi Timothy, I'm assuming you're using PlatformPro, and that's what the following applies to. If that's incorrect, please let us know. 1) You've tried using the dragging feature to resize the site in the settings? 2) You would have to modify template.postloop.php. Search for is_category() and you should find the code you need to modify. 3) There are plugins that can remove the admin bar.

timothy

Hey Kate, Let's continue the discussion here, rather than on the other thread. I found template.postloop.php But I could not find is_category() Therefore, I could not customize it for design. What I want to do, is adjust the width of both/either the Content Area, Main Content. And yes, I adjusted the width by dragging, but it stops at 800 no matter what I do. Ideas?

catrina

You can try using CSS instead to adjust the width of the area. Have you already tried doing that in the custom css area or base.css file?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

timothy

No, I haven't. I don't speak CSS fluently. Unfortunately I need little pieces of code handed to me so I can test them. How would I use CSS to customize the width? Because somethings when I drag-change the width, it doesn't change on the rendered version of the blog.

catrina

Which layout design mode are you using (full canvas, full framework, or fixed-width)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

timothy

I've chosen the one of the far left, where it's just one big gray block. No blue side-bars. Allow me to elaborate a little bit more... I have only a few pages on the menu of the nav bar. But yet one falls underneath, making it two rows in the nav, rather than one. This is one reason I want to make one of my blogs wider, so they all line up in one row on the nav bar. URL: spiritualmembers.com/family (it only lines up in one row on small monitors) On the other hand, my second blog has only 2 pages in the nav bar, so I want to shrink the width and make it skinner. They are both just one big gray column. No blue sidebars. I don't know what "name" that layout type is out of the 3 you asked.

timlinson

For #2, put this filter into platformbase/functions.php, except change "is_sticky" to "is_category" http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/8606#post-46787 About the width, Catrina is referring to the mode specified in Design Control. Basically if you use the "fixed-width design framework," your content and footer will shrink together.

timothy

I want to be able to make the logo-nav bar section WIDER, and the column of content beneath it NARROWER. Like the shape of the letter "T". Which mode do I need, and how do I do that?

timlinson

try something like this in custom css: ` #page-main, #page-main .content { width: 600px !important; margin: 0 auto !important; } `

timothy

This successfully moved everything over more toward the center. But unfortunatly, the text doesn't wrap inside the page/post width. It simply extends far out to the right over what I imagine is the designated width. That includes the content of the post, the horizontal rule at the bottom of each post, and the gray bar above each post indicating the category the post is filed under. In the end, I just want the pages/posts to be 690 pixels-ish and centered How do we fix that? To see what I'm referring to, go here: http://www.spiritualmembers.com/family/login-to-the-members-area/?wlfrom=%2Ffamily%2Fcategory%2Finterviews-with-gurus%2F

Kate

Hi Timothy, Could be my connection, but I'm not able to access the site. Are you using Firebug by any chance? It can help you easily pick out the elements you want to target.

timothy
http://spiritualmembers.com/family Then just choose a page, and you should be blocked by the membership software. But you'll see what I'm referring to as the problem. To repeat, I want to make the main column about 690, and centered, while make the nav bar a little wider.

catrina

The main column appears to be pushed to the right slightly. Do you have any CSS that might be causing it? Once that's fixed, the column could probably be centered using this CSS:

margin: auto 0;

Designer | Catrina Dulay

timothy

Catrina, if you look up higher in the thread you'll see our progression til now. Tim advised me to place this code: #page-main, #page-main .content { width: 600px !important; margin: 0 auto !important; } This moved everything to the right, but I want the text to wrap, and the column to center. Unfortunately, the code you gave me did not work.

timlinson

try this instead.. swap the selector to mcolumn-pad and up the width to 690: ` .mcolumn-pad { width: 690px !important; margin: 0 auto !important; } `

timothy

Hey Tim, Firstly, thanks for the help. It worked, partly... The upper gray bar that tells the category of the post, and the bottom horizontal rule did shrink to size width-wise, but the text still does not wrap... And for some reason, I can't get it to do go any skinnier. I'm having a problem with the theme actually displaying the results of the changes after I save them. And I'm not using a super cache or anything. Any thoughts?

catrina

Do I need to log-in to the members to see the other content where the problems are occuring?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

timothy

Catrina URL: spiritualmembers.com/family un: manofbliss pw: malvern3 You won't see any examples of the text NOT wrapping (even tho it is), because I've manually trimmed and formatted every paragraph to avoid that happening, because this site is live.

timlinson

the text still does not wrap
When I delete the `

` tags in your paragraphs with firebug, the text seems to wrap fine for me: s2pRM.png I can remove this link later if you want, but I figured you'd be ok with it since the login info is posted above.

I can't get it to do go any skinnier
You mean even if you change the mcolumn-pad rule to a smaller width? I only put 690px because it was a number you had mentioned, but it gets skinnier when I test it with a smaller number. I'm not sure.. I/we might just not be understanding what you want exactly.. either that or our browsers are just doing different things.

timothy

Tim, When I tell you that I tested all of this and it didn't work, I'm being dead serious. But for some reason, NOW it's working. I'm noticing a trend, and it may be my Firefox or computer or something. But when I test a new change, it always works the first time, but then when I go to undo it, or alter it, it won't show up. I'm running a cache plugin or anything. I just don't understand. Everything's working now. Thanks.

Kate

Glad everything's working now Timothy. Let us know if you experience issues again.