Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

How to use carousel's hook pagelines_carousel_list?

ricardo

Hi! I'm wondering how to use the hook option in Carousel Settings. It would be great if anyone could provide a list of possible options and a code example. Thanks! =) Ricardo Ps: Oops! Posted in the wrong place! Can a mod move it to the PP forum please? Thanks!

ikonics

I had trouble with this also. You can add this to your functions.php. You could repeat the list items, entering in all the info manually, or you could also write your own loop and get the content from categories, pages, custom post types, etc. Good luck. add_action('pagelines_carousel_list','myCarouselImages'); function myCarouselImages(){ ?> //start your list here <?php }

jrweinb

Hello, When I update functions.php to manually enter the carousel items using html, the carousel setting "displayed carousel items" gets overridden. How can I set the number of displayed carousel items in the functions.php? Thank you. Jeff

ikonics

Check out section.carousel.php, (starting around line 170). You'll find the jQuery settings for the carousel. You could try copying this script to your functions.php. Drop it in a new function that uses the "pagelines_before_carousel" hook and change the settings manually. E.g. var $j = jQuery.noConflict(); $j(document).ready(function () { $j(".thecarousel").show(); $j(".thecarousel").jcarousel({ wrap: 'circular', visible: NUMBER OF ITEMS, easing: 'swing', scroll: NUMBER OF ITEMS SCROLLED, animation: ANIMATION SPEED }); $j(".jcarousel-prev, .jcarousel-next").disableTextSelect(); }); Just note that the carousel settings are comma separated until the last setting (i.e. no comma after animation speed). Good Luck.

jrweinb

Hi Michael, Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I will let you know if there are any problems with this method. Do you work for Pagelines? Just so you know, I was very disappointed with this product until I realized how much control you can have over the design and functionality by editing the base theme with css and hooks. Anyway, my point is that you guys should really invest a significant amount of time into improving the documentation and creating a really robust set of tutorials. An unreasonable amount of tutorials for many many use cases. I really think that this product could catch on fire if you guys did this. I am speaking from a designer's standpoint with basic to intermediate understanding of development, php and theming. I was attracted to the product because of "drag and drop" positioning and that it was meant for designers, but I am definitely hitting some roadblocks due to lack of documentations and no tutorials. I had to literally take a screenshot of the video tutorial on advanced theming and zoom in to copy the code in the video. For example, if I had not discovered this post, which luckily was posted 2 days ago, I probably would have abandoned using Platform for my project because I would not have been able to get the level of control that I needed to execute my design. Anyway, just my thoughts, I am really liking your product right now, ESPECIALLY since it is IE6 and IE7 compliant on top of all the other great features....

ikonics

Jeffrey, No I don't work for Pagelines. But I really believe in this product. I've been developing sites with Wordpress for about a year now and I got to the point where I realized that I was reusing many sections of code and I had considered building a similar CMS solution for wordpress that was much less "bloggy." That's when I stumbled upon Platform Pro. It was doing (in part) exactly what I wanted to accomplish. Out of the box you get a ton of great features and the speed at which you can create a site is unbelievable. For someone who can be satisfied with the built in features and has a basic skill set in regards to using Wordpress then this is the product for you. But if your someone like me (and you I imagine) who sees the potential for extending this theme, you've got to do some homework. The documentation needs some lovin - you're right. The downfall of a premium wordpress product is that you don't end up with the community support that you would with open source projects. So if you're stuck and the forum isn't helping, work at it. I don't know your level of comfort with wordpress code or php in general but what they've provided is relatively easy to follow. For starters read the comments in functions.php in the base theme. They've provided some hints on creating page templates, drag n drop sections, using hooks, etc. And poke around in their code. If you want to create a custom drag n drop section look at how the built in sections work. What's really great is you'll discover that they've made a solid effort in allowing for customizing (e.g. there's a lot of hooks). I search this forum too. I have only ever posted under this topic but from what I'm seeing/reading your complaint is common. But even though this community is small, let's try to make it as strong as possible. If you discover something cool, share it. I definitely will try to do the same.

jrweinb

Hey Michael, Thanks for the tips...I am really interested in extending this product. What I would love to do is introduce some more JQuery UI into the mix by creating some more configurable drag n drop sections. While it would take a while to set up, the benefits of being able to drag and drop some of my favorite JQuery plugins onto the page and configure it from an admin panel would be huge. For the project I am working on now I am trying to create a solution that will let me use a JQuery load function to update the page without refresh when clicking on a link. I will def share it with you when I finish (if I can pull it off). Maybe I will take it a step further and try to create a section for this type of action. I usually use ExpressionEngine as my CMS because of the huge design flexibility and I would love to see this product extended to work like EE does. Please let me know if you come up with any cool extensions for Platform.

ikonics

Jeffrey, For sure. I'd be more than happy to "swap sections." Actually it'd be really cool if there was a "sections repository" of sorts for non-pagelines developers to share their goods. Adios

ikonics

P.S. Jeffrey My name is actually Ben. Michael is my boss (he bought my platform pro license). I'm changing my screen name so look for Ben Luoma. Later