Sign in to follow this  
matthewshore

Multi language iBlogPro

matthewshore

Hi, So: I am using the iBlogPro theme to build our corporate site. We have the requirement that the site is in multiple languages, and I have installed WPML for this purpose. It works very well for most of the site, BUT, I can't seem to find a way to translate the feature page. None of the strings on this page appear in the plugin translation pages after it scans the site for translatable strings. Is there something I'm missing? or is there a workaround? It's a shame, because otherwise this is a great theme, which has allowed us to create a really nice looking site. Cheers Matthew

cmunns

This sounds like a problem with the plugin itself. You'd be better off asking the creators of the plugin why that text isn't translating like the rest. WPML forum If they can't help you let me know and I'll do some investigating with their plugin.

matthewshore

can you tell me what make the home page so different to the rest of them? From what i understand, it has something to do with gettext, or something? I dont think its only this plugin that has a problem with this page; i have read another post saying that they tried three different ones- wpml, qtranslate, and one other. I'll ask on their forums, and see if they can shed any light... Cheers

Andrew

as far as translation... you set the text for your feature page in the 'feature setup' option area... what else would you like translated? Are you trying to translate it based on the location of your users? Finally, if that's the case (same text; multiple languages); we may have to wrap the function output in something like a `gettext` function...

matthewshore

yeah, we want the user to be able to switch languages, based on their preference or location, so the site is currently in english, french, russian, chinese and arabic. I asked on the WPML forum, and they said that it needs to be, as you said also, wrapped in a gettext function. So, next question: Bearing in mind that I have very little knowledge of programming, so your explanation will have to be idiot proof, how do I do that? :) BTW the site is here, on a staging server http://www.moveoneinc.com/stage2 You can see the language switcher, etc.

matthewshore

so same text, multiple languages

Andrew

looks like we need to wrap the text output in the template. what function do you need to use to process your stuff?

matthewshore

gettext, i think... like i said, im a bit of a novice at this.

jnoh

You'll want to open up the "includes/pro/template_feature.php" file and wrap $feature['title'] and $feature['text'] with the gettext function.

matthewshore

So, because the $feature title is an array the individual titles don't actually 'exist' when the gettext runs... It doesn't appear in the strings. but, if you declare a single variable then it works, and it shows up in the string translation part. Any ideas how to get around this? you can see on the site now: one title is a control, with no gettext, the second title is wrapped in a gettext, and the 'NameMO' is a single variable, wrapped in gettext. the latter appears in the string translations, and changes depending on the language you select. moveoneinc.com/stage2

jnoh

Matthewshore, can you set a single variable to the $feature['title'] prior to placing it in the gettext function. ` $titletext = $feature['title'] gettext($titletext) ` Let me know if that works.

Andrew

This is a duplicate post... wonder which one to keep?

matthewshore

yeah, i don't know... i got good answers from both! lets stick with this one...

matthewshore

this is how we have done the feature title:

<?php echo $feature['title'];?>
	<?php _e($feature['title'], TDOMAIN); ?>
	<?php _e('NameMO', 'wpml_theme'); ?>

matthewshore

what would be ideal is if each of the fields in the feature setup would be passed through the gettext function...

Andrew

did you try this: <?php _e($feature['title'], 'wpml_theme'); ?> yes, we would do that... we just need to find out where they should be passed through; if its not working in the template.

matthewshore

actually, I think we have solved it. Not quite sure how, one of my colleagues figured it out. I will post the solution here shortly... take a look at the site to see it in action! Thanks for the invaluable help. www.moveoneinc.com/stage2

Andrew

that would be excellent. Thanks

fraank

hi mattewshore I??m exactly stuck at the same problem now and I saw on you site that you have solved the problem with WPML. Can you give a short tutorial on how you did this ? Thanks for any help. F