Sign in to follow this  
mantenlapaz

Image Gallery Support - need to tag and search-

mantenlapaz

Hi, I reccently purchased pagelines platform pro for a non-profit website I am designing. So far I really love this theme. I am, unfortunately, bumping into a big problem that I am hoping someone can help me with. The site I am making has a lot of photo galleries on each page, which I would like to make searchable (by using tags on the photos) both by Google and by the WP built-in search funtion. So far, I have tried using NextGen galleries with little success. The galleries are great but not searchable! Is there a better solution? This is an image based site so I need to find a way for people to access the images via Google and also once they get to the site to be able to search/browse/use a category dropdown funtion to be able to find what they are looking for Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

cmunns

The built-in search of WP is pretty limiting, but there are many plugins that extend the functionality such as Search Unleashed. category dropdowns could be created by WP built in category widget assuming each image set is part of a post that is assigned to a category.

ricardo

Hi Currie! If I understood you correctly I'm afraid you're stuck between a rock and a hard place! You will have to give up something as there's no solution for that. Sadly WP is not the best platform for the type of thing you are developing. Lets see if I can give you a broad picture of your options here... 1 - File based, media library approach You can more or less maintain your current set up with NextGen and focus your work in attachment pages (make them public, presentable, etc). Plugins like Media Tags, Tag Gallery or even WP Image Tagger can help and/or even replace NextGen. You'll also need to modify the default search or use a plugin like Search Everything. Cons: less plugins, less options, more custom code and work, attachment urls are ugly 2 - Posts based This basically consists in posting an image per post (using the featured image option) taking full advantage of existing taxonomy tools (tags + categories). It's expandable via taxonomy and seo plugins. This is what I use in my (somewhat neglected) photoblog. Cons: if you need a lot of categories for a blog or news section, this might not be the best solution for you; no drag and drop custom ordering of photos (unless via plugin but I didn't had good results with it); taxonomy allows for easy and simple multiple levels (album collection > album > gallery > photo) but changing default behavior and display might be really complicated! 3 - Photoblog specific tools PhotoQ and YAK provide you with the more similar replacement for your current set up with everything you want and need but at a high price: you are locked in their "system" (mostly custom field based) and DB tables, so changing to something else later might be a nightmare. There's also an additional con: as both developers have disappeared for long periods before (not criticising, just acknowledging life as it is) you might find yourself with an inaccessible website if an WP upgrade breaks plugin functionality. This was 80-90% of a custom solution for an image bank project I developed. The other 10-20% came from the other points and I can definitely say that although I was surprised that it was possible to do it in WP (which I didn't believe before), it lacks a lot of development in that area. 4 - Last but not least, post types. This should actually be point 2.1 but due to the incredible potential of post types, I think this qualifies as a solution per se. Sadly, apart from the ability to display a different template according to the post's Post Type, I haven't explored this thoroughly since its recent release in WP 3.1 but basically it builds up and upon the qualities described in point 2 and inherently solves some of its problems. Whatever the case is, I'm afraid there's no easy "1-2-3" solution. You'll need to spend some time testing and studying it, weighting carefully cons and pros. Good luck! Ricardo