Sign in to follow this  
reinars

Navigation

reinars

I want to give my main navigation a boost, but where exactly do I find the relevant css elements?

catrina

The best way to accomplish that is by using Firebug to target the CSS elements in the navigation bar and create custom CSS, which is added to the custom CSS area in your settings or the base.css file in the activated child theme. To do that, download Firebug for Firefox here: http://getfirebug.com To learn how to use it for your CSS customization purposes, look at this tutorial: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=6930

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

reinars

@Catrina: It makes no sense to me to use Firebug or any other product in order to change existing css elements. Can someone point them out to me?

catrina

Firebug can be used to help you look for the CSS elements you need (not just in the navigation, but everywhere else in the page). You can also see a list of CSS selectors in Settings > Template Setup > Site Header > Navigation > Advanced Setup > CSS Selectors (but this only displays 3 of them). Can you tell me which elements in the navigation you want to change (i.e. link color, menu item background color, etc.)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

reinars

I here you Catrina, however the css simply need structure and logic - then an additional product wouldn't be necessary. Can someone tell me which css file to look into?

catrina

You can look into theme.css, but it is not recommended to change the CSS directly in that file because when you upgrade, the change won't carry over. To create the CSS changes, add the CSS to the CSS Rules box instead (in Settings > Custom Code) or the base.css file in the child theme.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

reinars

I always use child themes or skins, I only need to know where to find the elements. I see bits and pieces in various css files. I hope for a more structured approach in the future.

catrina

The following CSS files you can refer to are: core.css, theme.css, pro.css, style.css, superfish.css (among others)

Designer | Catrina Dulay

calebweeks

Hi Catrina, This isn't important and hasn't bothered me at all, but I am just curious, "Do you have any idea why there are so many different stylesheets?" It becomes curious as theme.css and style.css are so similar. Not a big or important one, but if it's of interest for you to respond, I'd love to know! Thanks :)

cmunns

Well pro.css only includes elements from the pro version, superfish.css is only inculded if dropdowns are active, carousel.css is only included if the carousel is active. It's a way of only including the minimum possible code when needed although the number of external styles can grow...we are always looking for ways to consolidate.