Sign in to follow this  
zone5landscapes

more twitter woes

zone5landscapes

having read a large number of posts relating to the platform pro twitter feed saying no public tweets I am no nearer a solution - any advice welcome! I have platform pro 1.3.4 and platform base together with the ppro recommended plugins, my twitter account is public and working - clicking the link on my site that says no posts links quite happily to twitter and shows the posts :-). Uninstalling, deleting and reloading the twitter for wordpress plugin doesn't work, neither does adding an @ to my twitter name - and yes I am typing the name only into the field on the settings page :-) I did see one instance of the site showing the feed but it went away on refresh, there is something quirky going on but I am currently at a loss. The functionality is exactly what I want and I am really happy with the way the rest of the site is shaping up - now if I can just fix this! here is the site - still some WIP but it is at least live now:- www.zone5gallery.com

ricardo

Hi Andrew! The only thing that stands out in your code is your paths have a colon after .com (like "http://www.zone5gallery.com:/wp/feed/" for example) Have you tried creating a twitter widget with your or anyone else's feed? Ricardo

zone5landscapes

Thanks Ricardo, yes, I have a twitter widget using the PL recommended plugin on the site - interestingly it doesn't update either so I am wondering whether the twitter plugin is the issue, trouble is I like the PL format for the plugin and am trying not to mess with anything in the parent theme if I can help it. seems like WP 3.1.1 might be part of the problem from some other posts on the topic, not much help though at this point. shame because I am promoting PL Pro to another party right now (the restaurant that houses my gallery) but they need twitter as a core part of the marketing approach I am recommending to them. here's hoping PL can come up with an alternative that works ASAP or the plugin gets fixed! Andrew

kastelic

I have all the same versions as you and it works fine, have you tried it with the same capitalization that you have in your twitter name, like Zone5Gallery instead of zone5gallery?

zone5landscapes

Thanks Jimmy, I tried changing the caps, got an update and then posted a new message to twitter and it has stalled again. The twitter account/user name is without the caps though so this working is weird to say the least - but after one twitter update its broken again - frustrating and still no feedback from the PL team in terms of a fix...

Simon

I have this plugin working locally, latest wordpress. username without @ all lowercase.

zone5landscapes

Thanks Simon, I have tried everything I can think of, with caps, without caps, with and without @, really frustrating and its making wonder whether something simple and annoyingly obvious is wrong here, clicking the link to the twitter feed works fine so I need to figure out why the feed is not updating on the site...

zone5landscapes

update, it's up and down like a yoyo now, looking into other plugins and I guess I'll have to update the PL code to insert the other plugin after I've switched off the default...

Simon

OK taken a quick look at this, seems the plugin has not been updated for some time asn is not 100% compatible with >3.1 but there is a fix you can try: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/twitter-for-wordpress-broken-on-upgrade-to-31?replies=7 4th post down there is a block of code. It is the main function in the twitter plugin Open the plugin in an editor and replace the block of code with the one posted. Worked for me.

zone5landscapes

Thanks tried that but I get a fatal error, looks like more code is needed than the snippet, bugger that looked hopeful for a minute...

ricardo

Oh, my previous answer wasn't apparently submitted =( In a nutshell, seems your host is tucows and mass hosting companies like tucows run their servers with minimal software and very restrictive conditions. At the same time, they also host hundreds of sites under the same IP making quite easy and fast to reach the threshold where Twitter servers stop answering your IP. If you can install and successively run other plugin, that would make it easier to narrow down the problem to the IP or insufficient server requirements. Ricardo