Sign in to follow this  
ronaldmeaux

Sub Nav Links not showing up

ronaldmeaux

I can't get my subnav links to appear. The instructions to build custom menus using PageLines are a bit murky but I followed them as best I could. Here's what I've done so far: 1. Created Pages with the usual parent attributes 2. Created Custom Menu with nested child pages under parent pages 3. Added Custom Menu to all 3 theme locations 3. Added Secondary Nav to the header template What am I missing? Any idea why the subnav links don't show up?

kgstew

The setting for drop down navigation is disabled by default in Platform. To enable it go to the "Header and Nav" Platform setting and scroll down to check the option for Drop Down Navigation. That should do it.

ronaldmeaux

I already have the drop down working. I'm talking about the subnav links for the child pages. I'm updating this website using Platform but I can't get the nav right.

cmunns

The site looks really good. IT does look like you got the subnav showing...in this case you were trying to use the instructions that were meant for PlatformPro.

ronaldmeaux

Actually, I just showed that site as an example of what I mean by "sub nav" links. The previous poster thought I was talking about drop down menus. I am trying to build a site on Platform Pro, not iBlogPro. And I can't get sub nav (or secondary nav?) links to show up.

timlinson

Actually the subnav behavior has changed a little bit. Now you have to do this: - manually create separate custom menus to used as page subnavs - go to the edit page for each parent page - scroll down to PageLines Meta Settings > General Page Setup - select the appropriate menu in the "Select Secondary Nav Menu" dropdown

ronaldmeaux

Tim, it sounds like you are saying that subnav menus must be created manually. If that's the case then what's the point of having parent pages? I thought that's what drives subnav menus. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll try it out this week.

catrina

rtm, Yes, the subnav menus now need to be created manually. The subnav menus is there so that you can create multiple subnav menus that you can choose from in the list in Settings.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

calebweeks

It sounds like this is almost what "Tabs" might do? That is, tabs on one page across the top (depending on how they are styled) can almost achieve the same affect of a custom Sub Nav, except that Tabs, to my knowledge cannot contain pages. I actually kind of like the idea of having the ability to create custom Sub Navigations, though "Smart" SubNavs created by already nested pages might be preferable before customization would begin. Thanks for these ideas and new way of thinking!

gayatriom

Hey So I followed the manual creation steps. I have created a custom menu under Appearance. I have now selected this menu in the general layout section on the page that I want it (I personally LOVE this idea, by the way) . But nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong?

kastelic

You have to make sure that either the Header or the page template your using has the "secondary nav" section dragged into it in Template Setup.

ronaldmeaux

Thanks all for the great responses. It looks like the devs are considering reverting to some kind of "auto" subnav based on page nesting. I'll close this out.