Sign in to follow this  
christine

Trying really hard to stay calm...

christine

I am having no end of trouble trying to figure out how WhitehousePro works. It seems that any time I try to fix one thing, many other things go terribly wrong. I realize there is a learning curve with every new theme, but somehow this one is really getting the better of me. I love the theme itself, want mine to look like the demo, but just can't seem to get it right. Is there some kind of glossary and an instruction manual - a step by step, logical order of procedure with pictures - that explains what each of the fields mean and what options available and what will happen with each? I really don't understand why themes don't come with instruction manuals - even my blender has one (and how hard is that?) For those of us who are somewhat technically challenged (although very willing to learn!), a step by step instruction manual would be just the thing, doncha think?

jnoh

Hey Christine, I'd love to help you. Check the tutorials in the new blog section! We're going to be creating a lot of new tutorials that'll make getting started a lot easier (if you have any specific requests feel free to post to this thread -->http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=798) We're also going to work on a docs section which will hopefully make referencing a breeze. :D In the meantime, if you have any trouble at all, Andrew, Adam or I will answer any questions you may have. Also, email me at [email protected] to get the dummy content for WhiteHousePro. It'll give you a replica of the demo site which you can just switch things out of. Thanks very much Christine.

christine

Hi, Thank you. Now I have been sent the dummy content - what will happen if I download it as suggested. Will it replace the changes I've made to the original theme as it was installed? Will it eradicate my posts? I need to know this before I do anything! Also, I just watched the firebug video. I am interested in the add-on but you don't mention where to get it - unless I missed that part. Now, when you say "switch things out of", what do you mean exactly? I need very precise, clear instructions otherwise I find myself in a tangle. Wish it was a tango - that would be a lot more fun! maybe you want to look at the site as it is right now? christinemcintyre.me

jnoh

Hey Christine, It'll add the pages and posts to your site. Your posts and pages won't be eradicated. You'll understand how each of the pages are used. Also, I took a look at your site and it looks like a lot of issues are caused by plugin issues. Make sure you only use plugins that you absolutely need. The less plugins you use the better (quicker and less risk of a damaged WP install). By "Switch things out of" I mean edit the pages created. You can see what is there, and replace the content with whatever you'd like to use in place of it.

liasson

Hi Christine, I started with WH Pro about a week ago. I was able to set up most of the preliminary settings under Appearance, WhitehousePro Options. I checked out all of the subjects on the left side of the page and only changed the things that I felt comfortable changing, stuff like header, color, text, etc. Then I created my first page. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to set the home page but finally figured out that if I made my first page ???the homepage??? and deleted all the post under the Post Tab, I could set my own Home Page. Then I built some more pages, uploaded photos and placed them on the pages. When Adding or Editing pages, there are 2 tabs, one that works like a word doc and the other shows the html code. I keep out of the code because I know just enough to get me in trouble if I try entering it myself. I had to determine the difference between a Post, Tag, and Page . . . I still haven??™t tackled Blogs!! What is important is CATEGORIZING and Tagging everything you put into it. Things have to be attached to something to keep track of content. The Widgets seem to be working out for me. You drag one to the right side of the page and plop it into the Sidebar. There is a tiny almost invisible down arrow on each box that you can open and change some things on it. Once change and saved, you see what you??™ve done on the Page view. Put stuff such as the calendar, META/Links, recent blogs, categories, stuff like that. Now the Plug-ins are interesting. There are a TON of them out there, some good and some bad. I??™ve uploaded several and deleted many. I find that the more information given on the upload area, the better they are, especially if they show a Printscreen. I??™m having difficulty figuring out what to do with the Custom fields and Value ???thing??? areas under each page. I??™ve looked for a help index. Nowhere can I find one. I??™ve entered a blog here but when you do that, it makes a person stop working while waiting for someone to come in to answer a blog. Since there is no one I can ask, I would like to go to a help area with an index so I can read ???how to??? there. The blogs are very long and non-specific to my needs. Most questions are highly technical and out of my pay grade. I??™m glad I found someone else who has just started with WHP. Maybe we can help each other? I am glad to share what I know, not much, but better than nothing!

christine

Hey, a kindred spirit in Whitehouse world! I so totally sympathize with you! Since these last posts I too have managed to figure out a thing or two. Still no instructions to be had anywhere except that Pagelines has promised us some documentation - when, we do not know. I really dislike the stop work effect of coming into the forum for help - one simple little thing can add hours of figuring to your day, sometimes even days - only because I am so darned stubborn, I won't leave it alone until I "get it"! Responses are slow when one is trying to forge ahead at at even keel. So yes, two heads are better than one. If you are available to get on a chatline, we can pool our newly acquired knowledge, trade off, and perhaps the two of us will land further ahead. Hook up with me at skype christine.mcintyre2010