Sign in to follow this  
cmhjon

iBlogPro Font

cmhjon

As I am new to WordPress (and have only a basic understanding of how websites work), I have a question about the font used by iBlogPro. As I understand it, for a font to display correctly on a website, a computer viewing the website must have said font installed locally, right? If so, how is it that the font used by iBlogPro can display correctly on my Mac although the font (to my knowledge) is not installed on it?

timlinson

Hey Jon, it's able to do this via cufon. Websites aren't fully dependent on the end user computer when they use font replacements like cufon, google font api, etc.

cmhjon

Hi Tim, Are there any limitation to this? I ask because a PC elsewhere in the office isn't displaying the font correctly. We tried IE8 and Google Chrome. Thanks, Jon

Kate

Hi Jon, Modern browsers shouldn't have an issue with font replacement. But, you can read about the individual solution's limitations on its own site. Hope that helps.

cmhjon

Hi Kate, I have tried several PC's in the building which have IE8 installed (and a couple of them also have Google Chrome). The fonts are not displaying correctly. They do display ok on the various Mac's that I have here in the office. What do I do to get them to display correctly on my PCs? Thanks, Jon

catrina

I'm not sure how they're displaying. Is it possible for you take a screen shot on the PC and post it here?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

timlinson

Check if you're on iblog 4.2.6.. there was a patch last week to fix cufon in IE.

cmhjon

I have 4.2.5. I have downloaded 4.2.6 but have not updated an existing theme before. Is it as simple as just reinstalling the updated theme? Is there a documented procedure for updating an existing theme? Will I lose my settings/graphics and all my work thus far?

kastelic

Hi Jon. Upgrading isn't really as scary as it sounds. All your settings are saved in your database so you won't lose them, your just updating the files that make the theme work. Here are the instructions for doing so: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/upgrading

cmhjon

Hi Jimmy, Thank you for the link. I followed it to the letter but got stuck when my FTP client (Cyberduck) could not rename the iBlogPro folder to "old_iBlogPro". The permissions on it are seemingly keeping me from doing this. FYI, WP is being hosted on a Microsoft ISA box. Any thoughts? Jon

kastelic

At this point I would contact your hosting provider about setting the permissions correctly for all your WP directories.

cmhjon

Hi Jimmy, I was able to work around the permissions issue. The problem now is when I log into my Pagelines account and download iBlogPro, it seems I am still downloading 4.2.5. Where is 4.2.6? Thanks, Jon

cmunns

Jon, I don't think the IE fix was patched for iBlogPro this was a more serious issue that came up with PlatformPro...the bottom line is that every browser is going to render fonts differently and IE is always going to render them worse bc IE is evil. You can disable Cufon or try finding a different font that looks better in IE...you can also try other font serving programs like TypeKit or a @font-face technique via CSS...which are alternatives to the CUFON method.

cmhjon

Is Google Chrome just as evil? I noticed in IE that there was a warning icon that appeared in the lower right corner of the IE window: LVGsM.png It seems that IE is not displaying it right because there's a bug of some kind in the Cufon code? I also tried Safari on this same PC and it too is not displaying the font correctly. Something with Windows XP?

cmhjon

On thing I should add as I am still new to using this theme is that under the Text Options pane, I do not have Cufon turned on nor do I have a replacement font file specified URL specified. Is there where I am going wrong? Since the font displays correctly on my Mac, I was assuming that no further configuration was necessary.

cmunns

No apparently I was wrong and the changelog in iBlogPro does reference a Cufon Bug fix although the version number may have not updated. Double check this. ..but with that being said I still wouldn't be surprised if Internet Explorer didn't give you a clean result.

cmhjon

The one I downloaded from my Pagelines account did not reference 4.2.6 in the change log.

cmunns

I did just check from my own launchpad account and it said 4.2.6 for iBlog Dev

cmhjon

Hi Adam, Ok, upon logging into my Launchpad account and clicking the changelog link, I do indeed see that it references 4.2.6. However, when I click the link to download the actual theme, the changelog file within the theme does NOT reference 4.2.6. Jon

cmhjon

How do I know if what I am downloading from my Launchpad account is version 4.2.6? Is there a file within the theme I should look at for specific verbiage/code?

cmunns

What I normally do is sync old files with new ones via Transmit ftp ...and check for files that have been modified recently... could try that?

cmhjon

Would it be possible for someone at Pagelines to email me version 4.2.6? IF, however, what I downloaded from my launchpad account on Tuesday is indeed 4.2.6 (although the changelog within the theme doesn't reference 4.2.6), I have already downloaded and installed it and unfortunately it didn't resolve the font issue. Many thanks, Jon :)

cmhjon

One more thing to add is that when viewing the iBlogPro demo page from the Pagelines website on a PC with IE8 or Chrome, the fonts look great and their smooth. So, why does my site not generate the font right, let alone smooth it? I have not used any custom fonts or anything. I just installed the theme and started building content. BTW, I re-downloaded the theme and I see that it now reflects 4.2.6. To be safe, I reinstalled the updated theme and the font problem is still occurring.

Andrew

Hey Jon, It may be the font you're using. Have you tried different ones? Andrew