Sign in to follow this  
stollerlawoffices

How do I Change the Text at End of Blog Teaser

stollerlawoffices

As part of the Blog page there is summary or "teaser" text for each blog post. How do I change the text that at the end of the teaser text? Instead of [...] I would like to have ??“ [NOTE: To read the full article click on article title.]

stollerlawoffices

Hi Catrina, Yes, I believe they are the enabled excerpts. They are the excerpts that have approximately the first two or three lines of a blog post and appear on the blog overview page or the blog page that shows a summary of all the recent posts. Right now at the end of that text is [??¦] and I want to change that so visitors that are not necessary familiar with how blogs work know to click on a blogs title to see the full article. I would like to have [NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title.] Do I change [??¦] to [NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title.] some place in Edit Themes or do I need to make a change in PHP script. If it is a change like that I can easily get into the the PHP scripts and make the change I just need to know the title of the file to work on.

cmunns

Well it should say "continue reading" by default to link to the full article. Are you not seeing that?

stollerlawoffices

Hi Cmunns, At the end of my teaser text for my Blog overview page there is [??¦], it does not say "Continue Reading". If the default was "Continue Reading" that would be perfect. Please check my Blog overview page: http://www.stollerlawoffices.com/blog/ It is the same situation that My Dowdy mentioned: http://awardsforebooks.com/blog/ How do I set up the teaser blog so at the end of the text it reads: "Continue Reading" or [NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title.]? It is not enough information for a visitor to have [??¦]. I need to tell them there is more information. How and where do I add that text?

cmunns

Have you guys tried inserting the `` tag into any of your posts? Try that out. As you see `<?php the_content(__('Continue reading »',TDOMAIN)); ?>` the function does have the continue reading text in there.

meshmarketer

Hi cmunns, You must be joking, right? Manually add a tag for each and every post? And I should go into my hundreds of posts and add that as well? NO THANKS. There must be a better solution than that.

stollerlawoffices

Hi Cmunns, There must be a better way than adding code to each blog post. Is there something in the PHP code where I can change the [??¦] to [Continue Reading] or [NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title.].

cmunns

There is a theme option for this. WhiteHousePro - Pages and Posts - Post Footer Link On Posts Page - Change the dropdown so it links to single post....then on the next option down change the text to whatever you want.

stollerlawoffices

Hi Cmunns, I tried changing the options under "Post Footer Link on Posts Page" in the WhiteHouse Pro Pages and Posts. Changing any of the options did not create the result I was looking for. In fact it appeared to me options 1 and 2 created the same result. 1. Point Link to Post "Single" Page At the bottom of each post there were the words Comments, Edit Post | Leave A Response 2. Point Link to Post Responses At the bottom of each post there were the words Comments, Edit Post | Leave A Response 3. Hide Link on Posts Pages At the bottom of each post there were the words Comments, Edit Post 4. Show Sharing Or "Meme" Links Instead At the bottom of each post there were the words "If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it! Logos for Facebook, Twitter, Delicious etc. What I'm trying to do is let a visitor know when they are on the web page with the Blog Post Summaries, or "Blog Post Teasers" what they need to do to finish reading the full article. I would like there to be a sentence at the end of the teaser that reads [NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title.] or [Continue Reading (with a link to the full article)] I have set this page to option number (1) "Point Link to Post "Single" Page" http://www.stollerlawoffices.com/blog/ It is not the result I'm looking for. Are there any other suggestions?

catrina

Since you're displaying post excerpts, there might be a way to edit the _posts.php file (located in your theme folder) so that you can add the text you want. This is code here is most likely the one you want to adjust:

<div class="textcontent">
	<?php the_content(__('Continue reading »',TDOMAIN)); ?>

Try changing "Continue reading" to "NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title."

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

stollerlawoffices

I found and opened the PHP file for _post.php and saw the text "Continue reading" and changed that text to "NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title" That change did nothing! The problem is not whether I use the text "Continue reading" or "NOTE: to read the full article click on the article title" The problem is neither of these pieces of text appear. All I see at the end of the blog teaser text is [??¦] How do I get text to show up, at the end of the blog teaser on the blog overview page, that links to the whole article?

cmunns

You don't need to edit files. Choose option number 1 "Point Link to Post "Single" Page At the bottom of each post there were the words Comments, Edit Post | Leave A Response" You just need to change the text option in the Blog and Post options so the text says something else instead of "Leave a Response"

meshmarketer

@Adam, you got it right before. Thanks for being patient. How do I mark the best answer?

timlinson

Went ahead and marked it for you. The button only shows up for mods and the original posters.

stollerlawoffices

Got it! I was looking for a solution where the "Continue" text came at the end of the teaser text. But having the "Continue" text at the bottom of the teaser is OK but I know my clients will be looking for the "Continue" text right after the teaser text. Hopefully they will understand the link. @Adam had the solution I used. Thank you for all the help.

slingr

Let me just say that is about as poorly labeled as anything I've found yet. You guys should really fix that. It looks to me like terminology that was used by developers that never got translated for customer use. And why can't that "Continue reading" text appear instead of the [...]? To me that shouldn't have to be a get-into-the-php thing to modify. The implementation in Platform Pro is much clearer in terms of the developer interface, but the appearance is still clunky with the [...] and the "Continue" link down two lines.