Sign in to follow this  
Jenny

RSS URL

Jenny

I use Feedburner for RSS but for some reason the RSS icon at the top points to the default RSS URL. Why does it do that and where can I correct it? Also, for future releases, would it be possible to have the URL customizable like how you have the twitter, youtube, etc options in the setup? Thanks!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

timlinson

Hey Jenny, which feedburner plugin are you using? I took a look at the WP feedburner codex and it looks like without certain plugins that do the work for you, there's some permalink + .htaccess work that needs to be done for WP to auto redirect to the feedburner url.

Jenny

I think I read on here before that the only way to change it is to manually edit the header with the URL since there isn't a plug and play box in the theme options (like twitter, linked in, etc). I was just hoping this had been fixed by now. :(

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

catrina

It's not recommended to edit the parent files, however. A fix will be noted, though.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bonngean

@Catrina, For the time being, wouldn't it be possible to make a copy of the header file -- and place that into the child theme so the URL could be changed? Just wondering if this would work or not? --Bonnie

Jenny

I don't know if that will work or not (hopefully Catrina can chime in), but I did do what someone else recommended on this forum. It involves using a social media widget and putting it into the universal sidebar widget and tweaking a little CSS. I also removed all links for social media/rss from the header in the platformpro options.

ricardo

Uh! That's a bit complicated. Why don't you remove the rss icon with the default rss link via settings and then add it again via hook with the feedburner link? Everything is already there for you. Try this:

1. Go to PlatformPro Settings > Header and Nav and turn off the display of the rss icon and link;
  2. Open your functions.php file in platformbase (this must be the active theme) and:
    • uncomment the branding action (by removing the double forward slash in // add_action('pagelines_branding_icons_end', 'add_icons_to_branding');)
    • change stumble upon href to your feedburner rss
    • and finally change the class to rsslink

Save and reload the front page. Simple, huh? =) Ricardo

Jenny

@Sourena those work too but for me, it bothers me if someone hovers over or copies the RSS link and it's not the right link. Sure it will redirect to the proper link but that's not what I want. :) Ricardo, I was going to try adding my stumbleupon icon, linked in, etc, but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I went with the other route instead. I only know enough PHP to somewhat understand the code when I read through it.

ricardo

You don't actually edit any php, just basic html but do whatever works for you =) Ricardo

catrina

There is a setting for a LinkedIn icon in the header settings. As for the Stumbleupon icon, you can add it using a hook (see here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme). You just need to find the Stumbleupon icon you want.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Jenny

Yeah that's what stumped me. I couldn't figure out how to "call" the icon in the included pagelines graphic. It's a sprite I think with like 100 graphics in it. Thanks for the image Pagelines but I have no idea how to use it. hehe

catrina

It should look something like this when you're adding the HTML to the code in the functions.php file: `IMAGEURLHERE`

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Jenny

But how does that link know to pull just the stumbleupon image from the sprite image that includes around 100 social media icons?

catrina

Ah, I misread and didn't see the detail about the sprite image. What format is the sprite image? Is it a vector?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Jenny

The file, located in "images," is sprite-socialicons.png

Simon

We have a new version coming out VERY soon with a filter to change the RSS url. If you can wait ;)

Jenny

Woohoo! Will an easier option (like a drop down box) be available to add other social media icons too? Thank you for letting me know!

Simon

There is already a hook to add new icons Ricardo mentioned it earlier in this thread. The new filter will make it easy to add a custom RSS url.

robsmelik

I too am looking for an easy way of adding more social icons on the top header region of my site. And although I am familiar with writing hooks for me it comes down to an issue of time. I'm just not sure why this functionality looks like it has been integrated into the iBlog theme Pagelines offers and didn't make its way into PlatformPro. The sprite image in the platformpro images folder apparently accommodates various other services and they are visible on the demo site, so why tease us. I know this isn't the place for formal feature requests but this one seems like it should be easy enough to integrate into the the next major release. Thanks in advance for any consideration of this request!