Sign in to follow this  
liasson

Whitehouse Pro

liasson

Using the latest WordPress upgrade and WhiteHousePro.(trying to anyway) Sorry, I can't take time to read through all these Blogs so I'm just asking right out. Just need to ask where I can find out what to do with all those boxes when editing a page. I'm thinking that EACH time I create a page I can activate any or all these boxes on that page and it will only show up on that specific page? But where do those boxes end up???? And also, does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about finding the right Plugin to use for, let??™s say an Interactive Calendar, Registration, Private Login (that doesn??™t take you into the Dashboard area or out to the generic WP login area), setting up a purchase area.....so many to look through. What I've uploaded seems to be a "hit and miss" thing. I'm getting frustrated here, folks. Any input you can give to make my "life" here in the "Whitehouse" easier will be greatly appreciated.

catmandu

Hi, I thought I would reach out. I just bought WHPro for a second site. I use Mimbo Pro on my first site, love it, and have been working with it for about 3 months. That's it. So, I am not a WP expert by any means, and I have only been working with WHPro for about 2-3 hours now. I am not sure to what you are referring when you say "boxes." First, let's make sure that we are talking about editing a Page - as opposed to a Post. They are different animals in Word Press, functionally and design wise. But, whether you create a Page or a Post, they do have some overlapping similarities. And, depending on the Theme, you can create or use a Template for each. When you create a Page, there are numerous "fields" or perhaps, "boxes," for entering content and other information that will determine what your Page says and how it looks and how else it may function. When you complete the Page entry "form" and hit the "Publish" button in the upper right corner, it generates the Page on your site. You then may immediately view it by clicking the "View Page" link at the very top of the Page creation form page. That will bring you to your newly created Page. You don't need to fill in all of the form fields for each Page that you create. But, some are certainly necessary. For example, you would definitely want to give your Page (or Post) a name - and that is the very first "box" on the top of the Page creation page. The next box down is the content box - the main body of the Page (or Post). Here is your main story. Then, you want to complete as much as possible on that form Page generation page. The beauty of Word Press is that it takes all of this information that you enter, and then generates a beautiful Page for your site, using the Theme you acquired. It takes time to understand what each box, form field, etc. means and how it impacts your site and the specific Page you are creating. The best way to learn is to experiment. You can always go back and Edit your Page. Go to "Pages" in the Left column in Dashboard, and click "Edit." That will bring you to a page that lists every single Page you created. Then, under the one that you want to edit, click the "Edit" link. That will bring you back to the Page form generation page - and there you will find your "boxes" all with the information that you entered previously. Now, you can add, do some SEO maneuvers, etc. - edit it any way you want. The "boxes" will always come back, just go back to Edit the page. Again, the beauty of Word Press. As for a Plugin for Interactive Calendar, well, each theme has a Calendar - it's a widget and you need to load it into a sidebar or footer, etc. WHPro has it. Look in Widgets, then "click and drag" it to the Sidebar that you want it to appear in. Registration is automatic, too. When someone wants to post on your site, they must register. It is built into WP. But nobody will go through your Dashboard - that is yours only as the owner and Administrator of the site. That is what you MUST use to create and maintain your site. But, only YOU can access it - unless, of course, you give out your Admin name and Password. Nobody else can see it for your site, although each Word Press site has one. But, it is only for you. I hope this helps. Don't get frustrated. But, also realize that - despite WP's "relative" simplicity, you will not learn it in a day and you will not build an entire, perfectly designed and SEO optimized site in a day either. It takes time, but stick with it and you will learn to love it.

liasson

THANK YOU, for taking the time to reply to my post. I??™m afraid that I will tire you out with my questions but you have given me hope. I just MIGHT be able get a descent site up and running. The boxes that I referred to are the ones that are located under each page. I can??™t figure out how they work and what to put into them. I??™ve place text into them but nothing happens. (I know I sound stupid but its fact!) They intimidate me! About the Registration subject: Before I started working with the Theme, on the Home page sidebar; in the Meta ???box??? (is it really a Widget?); where the Login is located . . . anyone could register and as an administrator, even. I finally found that I could go into General settings and unchecked the box; then I re-actived it. Now it doesn??™t show up on the META area anymore. So what??™s up with that? I??™m at the point where the more I work with ???The Pro??? and the more I change the default settings, the more trouble I have getting them back.

jnoh

Hey liasson you may be referring to the footer_left, footer_middle, footer_right widget containers. You can set these in "Appearance > Widget". Have you tried any of the WP user settings?

catmandu

@liasson, Sorry, I have been tied up for a couple of days and meant to check back. It is late Friday, but I will look at this tomorrow in the morning when I am fresh. But don't give up. Have you worked with Word Press before - with any theme? It might make sense to work with the basic starter them just to become familiar with all of the working parts, terminology and how it all fits together. Then, after a day or two, change your them back to WHP, which is clearly more sophisticated, but that is why we pay for it - to get the added features, options and flexibility. Talk with you in the morning.

catmandu

PS - Check to see if the boxes that you refer to are in the area on the "Edit Page" page in the area entitled "Form Fields." We need to specifically identify what you mean by "boxes," because there are boxes everywhere in the WP platform. Yes, "Meta" is a standard WP widget. You can place it in sidebars or on the bottom. Different themes vary a little bit, depending on how many sidebars, secondary, etc., but the Meta Widget is standard. And, you can place as many as you want on the site setup. As for "Registration," yes you are correct - one somebody (third party) registers with your site (via "Register" in teh "Meta" widget), it brings them to the WordPress Dashboard. But NOT your Administrator Dashboard. There is a difference. If they are in the Administrator Dashboard for your site, then you must have given them some sort of permission. When somebody registers with your site through the meta widget, you must approve and then you assign to them what they can do or cannot do. For example, you can assign to them authorship rights, and then they can create Posts. But I don't think they can do any more than that. Unchecking the box in General Settings (I assume the "anyone can register box) might change what is in the Meta Widget. That certainly would prevent anyone from registering, so probably that link would be removed. To get back into your site, you will need to type the following: http://[domain name]/wp-admin For example, if the domain name is www.bluedogs.com, then the Word Press login URL for the administrator would be: http://www.bluedogs.com/wp-admin That will bring you to the Word Press login page. Enter the Admin name and password and that will bring you to your Administrator Dashboard. Bookmark it so you can get in without having to type the URL everytime. Let me know about the "Form Field" issue, as that is what I think you are referring to and if so, see my first response - you don't need it all and if it is not set up right, yes, it will disappear, every time you publish. If it is set up right, then the data stays put, but i need more info to know for sure.