Sign in to follow this  
comhairle

These Docs are NOT Sufficient

comhairle
Read the PageLines Docs. If there is incomplete or missing information; please comment so we can improve them for you.
Sure. Setting up iBlogPro is a nightmare. The fact that months-old replies to comments on the docs say "We're working on more docs - promise... These things take a little time to get just right" is not sufficient. The fact that when I search Google for "setting up iBlogPro" all I get are pages and pages of freelance marketplace posts with buyers offering to pay other people to setup the theme they've already paid for indicates that there is a fundamental problem with your approach to product support. I don't need you to do it right; I need you to do it now. How hard would it be to post a step-by-step sticky on each forum as a temporary measure so that customers have an option other than 13 minute videos and complete frustration? Surely that would take less staff time and better serve users than what you're currently doing. I understand that developers are sometimes so entrenched in their product they cannot see the trees for the woods, but genuinely: this is not cool. When someone buys a theme from a demo, what they most commonly want is a site that looks and functions like the demo. The fact that my install homepage looks nothing like the demo isn't in and of itself an issue; the fact that I don't know how to get from here to there is an issue. To do that, as a minimum you need:
  • Step-by-step on setting up the Featured Slider like the demo
  • Ditto setting up the three homepage boxes like the demo
  • Ditto sidebars like the demo
  • Ditto footers like the demo

If you could give people that, it would probably be enough to make folks functionally familiar with how the theme works. As it is, I've got nothin'.

comhairle

I started an example guide for iBlog Pro 4 as I went along in the hopes my painful experience would be of use to others and I might get some help with the issues I have not yet resolved. I meant to post it in the iBlog Pro forum but mistakenly posted it to General. Perhaps someone could move it.

Jenny

I highly agree that the docs need to be made and updated. From a consumer standpoint, you are marketing Platform Pro as "drag & drop" framework. To ANYONE that reads this, they assume that everything is just drag and drop and will be up and minutes. Little do they know how much more is involved. Docs need to be created with the assumption that the person knows nothing about web design, has no coding knowledge, and has never used Wordpress. THAT is when you will shine.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

cornell2

i soooo agree with everyone here. More examples. More short documentation. fewer videos!! (I am looking for one answer - I dont want to sit through a 10 minute video!) Perhaps a wiki-like page (or pages) - that are more user generated than documentation by the author. This way, when any of us discovers a technique or insight that would help others at our level - separating newbies ... to experts - we don't have to play hit and miss searching forums or doc pages.

cornell2
As I have written before - this is pretty much my only complaint about pagelines (though a 9 or 10 in frustration level). Documentation is indeed a very time consuming task for a company with a product like this... I am going to toss out the Wiki suggestion again ... If one were started (by pagelines) - but populated, and validated by the community here - I believe an accurate wiki / documentation would take shape in a matter of days. All the pagelines staff would have to do is occasionally validate (or reject) some of the information posted. Once an initial wiki takes shape - I guarantee 50% of the content (and time spent) on these boards would vanish.

jankowalski
i do agree, bbpress is imposible to configure, even if you pay 65$ for template . you r just not explained what to do with that, the instructions are refering to outdated standalone version while bbpress it s a plugin now. nightmare

cornell2
I am reasonably certain there are enough free solutions out there, but that is up to the pagelines owners (perhaps tight integration with the boards or other features are important to them). Regardless - I can definitely say that not would only my life get much better if there was a wiki in progress, but I would gladly spend time contributing any unique knowledge I have ... (more likely that I don't unique knowledge but sometimes am pretty good at stating things in non-techie terms since I am not immersed in techno speak 24x7).

Rob
@cornell2 - A wiki is in progress, as are new docs, faq and version of Platform, all soon to be released. I know this has been discussed for some time now, but the effort is vast as our new edition will be incredibly awesome. Surprisingly, we are being responsive to requests here and it takes time to cover requests in over 14,000 topics. @jankowalski - I am sorry that you're using not only an outdated product you purchased quite some time ago and trying to make it work with an external forum program now turned into a plugin by their developers recently. BUT, I must say that trying to fit a square peg in a round hole never worked for anyone and it won't for any of us either. If you noticed, Platform Pro 1.5.3 (the current version) and Platform Base 1.4.1 are the current standard and we have integrated Platform Forum into them for more than 6 months. If you (and everyone) keep up to date with your Platform upgrades and install the plugin properly, it works perfectly, as cited in the recent updating of the Docs on bbPress. I actually did a totally new and clean installation just yesterday to test and within 5 minutes, I had bbPress up and running. Patience is needed when dealing with growing technology. Not only was Rome not built in a day, but neither was the iPhone or iPad.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
Actually I really do sympathize.... you want to do it right, and at the same time you are busy providing support on the forums (both take lots of time). It's an age old dilemma -because if you already had the wiki probably 50% of the time you spend on support would be freed up (so you could spend time writing the wiki) However - it looks as if you have a motivated user base - so motivated that they could do the bulk of the work on the wiki. Noting that wiki's are, by nature, self correcting and pretty accurate when there is enough of a crowd participating. Also - a wiki, FAQ and documentation sound redundant ... seems as if the wiki could cover it all. FWIW.

Rob
Fortunately for me, I'm not part of the regular documentation team for our new upcoming version. I just work the forums along with several of the members of that team. Sometimes though, I try to add or write some documentation, such as the page I just posted yesterday dealing with the bbPress plugin. Of course, satisfying so active and lively a crowd is tough as each has unique and important needs. Much as I can, I try to give people long, elaborate, step-by-step answers when time allows. I agree the three may seem redundant, but believe me, they have their purposes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
Well, I do appreciate the time spent writing the answers .... one big issue is that those answers can get lost in these forums and won't help many others that need them. Searching is often not effective (either too much info or the results don't turn up) which is why collecting them into an organized and tagged wiki or other documentation is a time saver for everyone.