Sign in to follow this  
dacree

Randomizing Posts in Content Area

dacree

Not sure if this is a definable function in the theme options, but I would like to randomize what posts appear in the main content area. And in fact, would like to limit which categories are accessed as well. I can use POST QUERY plug-in to accomplish this in a sidebar, but do not understand how this is done to control the center content area.

cmunns

You would use a hook to query_posts before the loop. In your functions.php file add something like ` add_action('pagelines_before_theloop','my_query'); function my_query(){ query_posts('cat=-1&orderby=rand'); } ` This isn't tested and will have to be refined. The -1 will exclude that category ID.

dacree

Worked! Thanks. Looking at all of that code is a bit scary, but I figure all I have to do is take it out again if something goes wrong. Just knowing where to place the suggested code is a little nerve-racking. Here for the reference of someone with as little knowledge as me is a larger snippet of where this was placed in the Pageline Base, Theme Functions (functions.php) file. // HOOKS EXAMPLE --------// // Below is an example of how you would add a social media icon to the icons in header (branding section) // We have placed a hook at the end of the icon set specifically add new icons without modifying code or having to worry about your edits // getting thrown out during the upgrade process. The way to use hooks goes a little like this: // add_action('hook_name','function name'); // ---> uncomment to load //add_action('pagelines_branding_icons_end', 'add_icons_to_branding'); // function name function add_icons_to_branding(){ // This hook adds a stumbleupon icon to the header of your theme. The class referenced in the link can be seen in the style.css // and is the image from the CSS is placed in the images folder ?> <?php } // end function //my custom code follows `add_action('pagelines_before_theloop','my_query'); function my_query(){ query_posts('cat=-172&orderby=rand'); }` //Note that I have indicated that Category 172 be OMITTED by having put the - sign before the category number. I suppose I could have other category numbers by just adding commas. Correct me if this is wrong.

dacree

Sorry, I jumped the gun on thinking this issue was resolved. While the code absolutely DOES ramdonize the posts in my contents area, it also forces randomization for any post. If a user searches for a particular post, it will not be displayed. Seems that is because it is replaced with a random post before the searched for post can be displayed. I say this because the searched for post appears in the breadcrumb display.