Sign in to follow this  
jenny20k

Changing size of Feature slider

jenny20k

Hi Is there a way to change the size of the feature slider so it is only about 40%? I'd like to add it to the content part of my page without affecting the sidebars.

kastelic

Try this in custom CSS:

#feature, #feature .content{
	   width:600px;
	}

jenny20k

Thanks Jimmy - that seems to get rid of my left sidebar though and moves the widgets in my right sidebar down. The original is here "creativecheshire.com" This is set using a feature page template with features and content displayed. The wrap seems to be too wide - not allowing for the sidebars. Thanks

Kate

Hey Jennifer, I'm not seeing a feature being used. Was it supposed to appear on the home page?

jenny20k

Hey Kate Sorry - I deleted it a couple of hours after posting because I searched the forum and came across advice saying you can't put a feature slider with the page content. Is this still correct? I downloaded a plugin called smoothslider which should do pretty much the same thing if not. Thanks.

cmunns

Yes that's essentially correct, It's possible by creating a brand new section but for your purposes it's probably easier to use the plugin

jenny20k

I need to add this code to see smoothslider in a page. <?php if ( function_exists( 'get_smooth_slider' )) { get_smooth_slider(); } ?> Should I add it in functions.php? If so, where abouts? As I pasted it into it but got an error and had to reload the functions page on to my server. Thanks.

Kate
Sorry, I mean Adam!
Don't worry... Happens all the time :D
Should I add it in functions.php?
Actually you're going to want to add it where the slider is normally being called, in the PHP file itself, not in functions.php. What that function is doing is adding the slider to wherever you want it... So, of course, we don't want it in functions.php. ;)

adamw33

I am running WP 3.1 which smoothslider does not work with. How would I go about making a new section so that I can display a feature in the post content section? I am a Pro and coding noob so go easy. www.backpackrats.com

timlinson

I could be misunderstanding something, but this seems like the job for a functions.php hook. put the plugin code into a function: `function my_slider() {` `? ? if(function_exists('get_smooth_slider')) {` `? ? ? ? get_smooth_slider();` `? ? }` `}` and hook it to the location you want, e.g. pagelines_inside_top_theloop: `add_action('pagelines_inside_top_theloop', 'my_slider');`