Sign in to follow this  
jenny20k

setting home page

jenny20k

Hi I deleted the sample page and now my "home page" has its own permalink. However, my site branding goes to simply the .com page. This is a problem as the .com page shows different content. How can I reset the permalinks? I have looked at the wp guidance but keep making a mess of it. www.creativecheshire.com

catrina

Permalink settings can be adjusted in Settings > General, but I'm not sure if the issue can be resolved there since it's only for setting up page/post permalinks. What is the permalink that results for your home page?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jenny20k

Hi Thanks for your quick post. The home page I have made has the permalink /?page_id=2 However, in my wordpress settings, the website url is simply ".com"

kastelic

Try going into Settings ->Permalinks and selecting "custom structure" and then paste in /%postname%/ and save.

jenny20k

Thanks - however, I still have the problem that when I click on the branding icon/ just type my url in, I get a post page - as opposed to my customised home page. My wp reading settings don't show me the option to change my homepage for a static one - I'm not sure why.

kastelic

So you want your homepage to be a static page right? Have you set up your main navigation menu manually in Settings -> Menu, after making a page called "home"?

jenny20k

I can get the nav button to go to my static home page (.com/home/) but my web address still goes to the post page, as does the branding icon.

kastelic

So, in Settings->Reading, you say that you cannot set your home page to a static page? Why not? If this feature is totally gone you either have a plugin conflict or a corrupt installation. If you can set it there, but there is no change, perhaps you have some redirection somewhere in .htaccess or in your hosting providers admin?

jenny20k

Bizarrely, the option has just come back - I swear it hasn't been there for days! Ah well, all sorted now, thanks though!