Sign in to follow this  
gcmprior

Features in Content area?

gcmprior

Can I add Features to my Content area? How great it would be to have a narrower Features with content above and below and sidebar next to...

catrina

You can move the Feature Slider to different areas around the template, but it can't be added into the Main Content area.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

ikonics

For a start copy the features folder to your sections folder in your base theme folder (or any platform pro child theme directory). It's located here: platformpro/sections/features copy it here: platformbase/sections Open the file sections.features.php and change this: ` $default_settings = array( 'description' => 'This is your main feature slider. Add feature text and media through the admin panel.', 'icon' => $this->section_root_url.'/features.png', 'version' => 'pro', ); ` change to this: ` $default_settings = array( 'description' => 'This is your main feature slider. Add feature text and media through the admin panel.', 'workswith' => array('main'), 'icon' => $this->section_root_url.'/features.png', 'version' => 'pro', ); ` You're adding 'workswith' to the default settings. Adding 'main' to this array will add the section to page content, posts content (e.g. category pages), and single post pages. You will need to work some minor css magic and also you'll need to be mindful of your feature image sizes but that should get you start. This is mentioned all over this forum but I'll reiterate - use firebug for help with your css. Good Luck!

suziwilson

I made the suggested changes to platformbase-2/sections/section.features.php after I copied it from platformpro-1/sections/features/section.features.php (see below) but my feature is still showing in the header section. Help! http://myessencenw.com/blog/ <?php /* Section: PageLines Features Author: Andrew Powers Description: Creates a feature slider and custom post type Version: 1.0.0 */ class PageLinesFeatures extends PageLinesSection { function __construct( $registered_settings = array() ) { $name = __('PageLines Features', 'pagelines'); $id = 'feature'; $this->tax_id = 'feature-sets'; $this->section_root_url = $registered_settings['base_url']; $default_settings = array( 'description' => 'This is your main feature slider. Add feature text and media through the admin panel.', 'workswith' => array('main'), 'icon' => $this->section_root_url.'/features.png', 'version' => 'pro', ); $settings = wp_parse_args( $registered_settings, $default_settings ); parent:GDN__construct($name, $id, $settings); }

timlinson
but my feature is still showing in the header section
Ben's code is doing this:
Adding 'main' to this array will add the section to page content, posts content (e.g. category pages), and single post pages.
So all it does is free up the section to be dragged into content areas in Template Setup. After that, it will still require css to tweak the dimensions:
You will need to work some minor css magic and also you'll need to be mindful of your feature image sizes but that should get you start. This is mentioned all over this forum but I'll reiterate - use firebug for help with your css.

jg_cci

Really interesting and helpful. We're looking to place the features in the sidebar wrap but adding sidebar_wrap to the array doesn't seem to do it. Any thoughts on what we might be missing?

ikonics

Hmm... yeah that's a hard question. Adding in sidebar_wrap didn't work for me either. You could add it via your functions.php file using the appropriate hook. It would go something like this: add_action('pagelines_sidebar_wrap','yourFunction'); // function name function yourFunction(){ // your slider function here } You can get the markup and javascript from the sections.features.php file. You'll have to query the appropriate feature set. Check out the wordpress codex to learn how to query custom post types. When I have more time I can flesh out that function but I hope I at least pointed you in the right direction. But... if all that is more effort and time than you want to spend you could always use a plugin. If your already using NextGEN Gallery (which was suggested in the Welcome tab under Platform settings) you should have a NextGEN widget available. Otherwise you can search the wordpress plugin repository for another that better suits your needs. Cheers.