Sign in to follow this  
digitalzoetrope

Custom Navigation Buttons over the Header image

digitalzoetrope

So I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to put custom navigation buttons (similar to callouts) on my site's header. This is in addition to the regular navigation. Currently, my site looks like this: http://digitalzoetrope.com/computerexperts/ And this is what I am trying to achieve: headersample3.png Any suggestions? Currently those individual navigation buttons are in boxes.

kgstew

Hi Michael, I would suggest using some of the built in hooks in Platform to accomplish this. You can add any block of code you would like above the header. Check out the docs on using hooks with the Platform base child theme here http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme. -Kyle

timlinson

edit: I'm just going to take my original over-complicated suggestion to avoid future confusion. Much better just to use hooking or css.

digitalzoetrope

kgstew, I tried opening my functions.php to add a hook, but the file looks nothing like the example in the doc you sent me a link to. This is what my file looks like: <?php /* THEME INITIALIZATION This file loads the core framework for Platform which handles everything. This theme copyright © 2008-2010 PageLines */ require_once(TEMPLATEPATH . "/core/core.init.php"); I do have Platform Pro and I find the functions.php file in my wp-content/themes/platform/ path. Is this the correct file?

digitalzoetrope

Tim, In trying your suggestion, I tried to set the box in the custom menu but nothing seemed to work. Is it even possible to use the box as a custom menu? Sorry, I'm not the best coder and I've only been working in Wordpress for 4 months or so. (Hence my purchase of Platform Pro)

digitalzoetrope

Well, I tried to do the custom menu option but could not get it to work. However, I think I was able to accomplish what I wanted by using the Boxes and just adjusting their location using CSS. This is the code I used: .dcol_container_3 { left: 00px; position: relative; top: 80px; width: 600px; z-index: 2; } There is a little extra padding at the top of the page that I would prefer to get rid off, but it seems to functioning now.

timlinson

Nice work! To get rid of the padding, you can switch to `position: fixed` and then adjust the `top` and `left` properties accordingly.