Sign in to follow this  
grovberg

PlatformPro Basic Questions

grovberg

I'm in the process of evaluating lots of different "platform" themes that we might use as the basis to build our own custom themes for clients. I like what I'm hearing in the marketing info for PlatformPro, but I'm baffled by how hard it is to find basic information about it.

1. Is there PlatformPro specific documentation? Seems like a totally different thing than what's described in the general support docs, but I don't see anything else.
  2. The demo seems like a nice example to show clients, but it gives me no idea of what the process of building a site with it would be like (especially combined with the lack of documentation). How can I evaluate what the process of building a site with PlatformPro is like? Am I missing something?
  3. Clicking the Buy button gives you a page with two choices, but zero explanation of what those two choices really mean. What's the difference between developer and regular editions?
  4. And related to the last one, what's the license like for each of those versions? Any limitations on how we use it with a single license?
I'm starting to wonder if I've just misunderstood what PlatformPro is meant to do. Thanks.

cshoffmann

Hi, I have used all the major premium theme frameworks on the market and I am convinced I can do more with Platform Pro than any other. PP comes out of the box white. There is documentation located here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/. Pay paticular attention to the design control and child theming sections. Now with that said, let me assure you that with some CSS edits you can make PP look and feel like any site out there or dream of. It will require you to make you customization to the base.css file. The reason we use that file for styling changes is so we can upgrade PP in the future while keeping our Child Theme. Learn to use browser tools like Google Chrome's Inspect Element tool. It will help you examine sites you like and incorporate that style into your PP site. It will take a little trial and error, but you can do more with PP than any other Theme Framework for WP. Now, if you are going to build sites for clients, then I recommend you work closely with a PageLines Pro until you are confident. The pros are listed here: http://www.pagelines.com/pros/. I am a Pro and would be glad to assist you in your projects. Any of the people listed on that page are competent and able to provide the support you need. I am working on putting a library of custom how-to articles on my site. It is under development so you won't find it now. In the meantime, the support forum is always the best place for you to ask any how-to question and get a response from anyone on how to accomplish what you want. Bottom line is you will be able to create anything with Platform Pro.

cshoffmann

Hi, I have used all the major premium theme frameworks on the market and I am convinced I can do more with Platform Pro than any other. PP comes out of the box white. There is documentation located here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/. Pay paticular attention to the design control and child theming sections.

cshoffmann

FYI the Developer License is for professionals when they are working with multiple web sites using Platform Pro. I recommend my clients each buy their own edition of PP, but often I will use my developer license for clients who are unfamiliar with PP.

grovberg

Let's be really clear, I genuinely appreciate the effort Shaun. Thanks for replying. :-) That said, I'm certain I can go to the forums of any WP theme framework and find users claiming their preferred framework is the best. I'm also certain that with enough work I can make just about any theme look and behave just like I want. But the whole point of something like PlatformPro is to save time and it's hard to evaluate how much time I'd be saving with things as they are. If PlatformPro is so complicated that it requires you to hire an outside consultant to master it, I'll probably just stick to building my own themes from scratch. I found that the PlatformPro documentation is indeed in the Docs section, but it's just sort of mixed in with the documentation for the regular themes and it's up to me to figure out what applies and what doesn't. The videos would be great if you could see anything that's going on (you can't). It's a shame. It seems like a great product on the face of it, but I'm having such a hard time evaluating it and getting basic answers to simple questions that I'm probably going to pass. Thanks again for the response.