Sign in to follow this  
voxxynetworks

Need Help Customizing Category Page

voxxynetworks

I am trying to add unique content to the top of each of my category pages. There are a few different options I have thought of. 1. Create a custom .php file that is specific to the category. Not sure how to do this with platformpro because it looks like all the info is compiled into the template.postloop.php file. Is there a way to duplicate this and use the category ID number to add unique content to a specific category? 2. Create a page and have it pull the recent posts from a specific category. I only want to pursue this option if It is easy to have the post excerpts display the same way they actually do on the category pages, except they would obviously be displayed on the page I create. Using a page allows me to add all the unique content I want, I would just need to be able to pull the category posts automatically when new posts are added to that specific category and have them display the way platform pro does already. Does anyone one know the best option here and how to go about doing this. I have spent several hours pursing the best solution, Im just not sure how to do this with platform pro. I have done it with other themes, but am having trouble getting it to work here. Thanks for any help

catrina

You can create a page where you can add the unique content you want, but it's just a matter of figuring out how to add the post excerpts from entries in a specific category. This short tutorial might be what you're looking for: http://dev.studiopress.com/add-post-category-page.htm

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cshoffmann

@Catrina I don't think that the studiopress instruction works with Platform Pro. Without going into detail now, try it and see if you can make it work. the custom field query_args does not work in PP. I am researching this, so I don't have an answer yet.

cshoffmann

One way to do it: use the plugin found here http://aralbalkan.com/1016 I did not find it in the wordpress plugin directory. Once installed and activated, you simply put on the page you want a category posts to show up the following: [[#idofpost]] that is for example [[77]] where the 77 is the post id. THIS CALLS AN INDIVIDUAL POST TO A PAGE, NOT A CATEGORY. Okay, so that works, but I am still researching for other ways.

Sourena

I think the easiest way is to use a combination of Query Posts and Widget Logic plugins: 1. First add a widgetized area like "Universal Sidebar" to your Page Content Area. T7xIjl.png 2. Then place Query post widget inside the "Universal Sidebar": vuNHBl.png 3. Then use Widget Logic to specify what specific page should show the result of this query. You can specify the page's ID number by using the code:

is_page("16")

5Rq0el.png 4.That is it. The widget only appears in the page you have specified. All you need to do is to apply style to the elements.

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

garygarysargentcom

Sourena your solution worked perfectly! Thank you!