Sign in to follow this  
words247gmailcom

Menu Setup Question

words247gmailcom

Wow, I'm having a really hard time getting the very basics of the site set up. When I get into the actual blog setup parameters, I hope I can feel my way much better. :( I read this document about setting up menu/navigation, but I don't understand the second step of "Attach it to the appropriate PageLines ???theme location." http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation How do I do that? I've created the primary menu that I want to show but the default top horizontal menu items still show (Sample Page, Feature, Carousel, etc.). I know I'm only supposed to ask one question per OP, but this is also such a basic question that maybe you can indulge me: How can I point the Feature Page (which in the demo is the landing/home page and I want the same for my site) to be the Home page? Like I said, I'm really struggling to get the skeletal CMS setup situated before I even start dealing with blog-related setups. LOL Finally, I apologize, as I meant to select the "EcoPro" area of the forum but it went through as general. Should this type of question be general, or are the themes different enough that setup should be in the specific theme area of the forum?

words247gmailcom

Update: I don't have the THEME LOCATION with information as noted in the video. Instead, it says this: The current theme does not natively support menus, but you can use the ???Custom Menu??? widget to add any menus you create here to the theme??™s sidebar. I did insert the custom menu widget for the sidebar, but surely there is a way to change the home page navigation menu at the top, as shown in the default? ?

words247gmailcom

I know you guys are going to get agitated, but since I can't edit the post, I'm replying again to say I figured out how to get the "Feature" page to be the Home page; via the Reading settings. I've been using WP as CMS, not blogging, so I have so much to learn I'm not sure I can do it quickly now. :( Thanks again.

words247gmailcom

I have spent HOURS trying to figure out the menu for EcoPro. Without the Theme Location box, I cannot figure out how to create a custom horizontal navigation menu as shown in the template. Can I or can I not have a custom horizontal menu with EcoPro? I can't even figure out how to move the default horizontal menu settings. I don't only want a sidebar menu. If I can't have a horizontal menu as in the template default, I need to abandon this now before wasting more time. Thanks for any help.

cmunns

It doesn't make sense that you are getting a "this theme doesn't support menus" message when in fact it does. What versino of WP and EcoPro are you using? Glad you figured out the home page setting :)

words247gmailcom

I literally just installed WP 3.1 yesterday, and got the latest EcoPro files from Alyson yesterday as well. I should have the most current of both. This is a fresh install, so I'm not having to deal with previous content or anything. That's the good part. :)

cmunns

So that would be 1.3.5 of Eco? The theme files have this function in them: ` if(function_exists('wp_nav_menu')): wp_nav_menu( array('menu_class' => 'main-nav dropdown', 'container' => null, 'container_class' => '', 'depth' => 3, 'theme_location'=>'primary', 'fallback_cb'=>'nav_fallback') ); else: nav_fallback(); endif;?> ` which is basically just so that I can show you it's set up to definitely show the theme locations and work with WP 3.0 Menus

words247gmailcom

Well, there's the problem. I definitely don't have the updated EcoPro files. What Alyson sent me was 1.1.4. She may have sent me the originally purchased files, rather than the latest. I didn't even pay attention to what the latest version number should have been.

words247gmailcom

Yay!!!!! This particular issue is RESOLVED. I went back to the launchpad and downloaded 1.3.5 and, voila, it works!!! Thank you for your patience and for helping me have my "duh" moment. :)