Sign in to follow this  
zouleo

Categories widget in Full Width Sidebar - columns?

zouleo

I want to show my categories to my visitors on my front page. On that page I don't have any right sidebar. Instead I've added the Full Width Sidebar to my page. And then I've dragged the Categories widget inside my Full Width Sidebar. The problem is that it's not looking so good. All my categories are in a long list. What I would like is to show them in columns. I think the CSS word is "flow". I've tried adding a height of 200 px to the < ul >-element. But the list only get cropped. Is there a way to limit the height and make the categories flow? Just like the carousel images (which is also a list) is horizontal instead of vertical. Please help.

aeverse

I accomplished this recently by using Menus.

• Create a new menu
  • add your Category links to it using the Custom Links feature and save the menu
  • Drag the Custom Menu Widget into your Full Width Sidebar and tell it which of your menus to display

This is the site where I implemented this recently: http://thewonderofchildhood.com/ Good luck!

zouleo

@Amanda: I've looked at your site but I have more than 40 categories. I'm not sure that your solution works for me. What I want is for the categories to span several columns like this: http://www.google.com/Top/Business/ I think that all I need is to add the categories widget to the Full Width Sidebar and adjust the CSS. The problem is that I don't know any CSS :-)

kastelic

Post a link to your site and we can help.

zouleo

@Jimmy: it's not public yet. Sorry.

zouleo

I solved it. It was easy. Just putting a float:left on the li-tag.