Sign in to follow this  
mickradford

Replace search box in nav_row with an .mp3 player

mickradford

Hey gang, I'd like to replace the default search box in the nav_row with a small button that launches a pop up MP3 player. I have everything I need for the player just looking for some guidance on how I would place the button in the nav_row. Thanks!

cshoffmann

Hi this must be done with a pagelines hook. Watch this video about hooks and let us know if you were able to do it. http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme FYI: it will require you to hide the search form in settings and then in the PlatformPro Base theme edit the functions.php file. I have not tried this to test, but here is what I think you will be looking to do something like: In functions.php: add_action('pagelines_inside_top_primary-nav', 'add_mp3_player'); function add_mp3_player(){?>Insert HTML for player here, adjust css within html to position exactly how you want it to appear. <?php} Good luck! Remember to have a back up of the original functions.php file in case you need to start over.

mickradford

Excellent - I'll give that a shot and let you know. Thanks!

mickradford

Ok, I had experimented with the hooks before but I couldn't quite get it into the position I wanted. Tonight I dove in a little harder and tried all the hooks - the one that got me closest was inside_bottom_primay... Here's the code fromthe functions file:

add_action('pagelines_inside_bottom_primary-nav', 'add_player_to_nav');

function add_player_to_nav(){
		?>
	    <div id="player" class="global">
	   	<span>Launch Player</span>
		<?php }[/code]

And Here's the CSS:

[code]#player{ float:right; } #player_btn { display: block; width: 210px; height: 28px; background: url("http://www.michelleleigh.com/images/site/player_button.png") no-repeat 0 0; } #player_btn:hover { background-position: 0 -28px; } #player_btn span { position: relative; top: -999em; }
Now the code and the CSS both work and make a nice little roll-over effect. The problem is this - as it is now the button shows up under the nav_bar. When I try to cheat it up where I want it (in line with the navigation) by throwing
margin-top:-2em;

onto the player I lose the link and the rollovers. tried adding it to the button itself other funky results. This is all nitpicky, I could skip the rollover and have the button work but if anybody has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. Alternately, I'm not against embedding the code directly withing the sectio / nav file - I just don't know where to put it or how it would work with the clearfix Oh, this is all living at www.red13.net at present. thanks :-)

Kate

Hey Mick, Have you tried absolute positioning?

mickradford

Toyed with that but can't get all the elements to play together - trying to keep this bulletproof. Keep in mind I know just enough PHP & CSS to be dangerous so please sing out if I'm making obvious mistakes.

mickradford

Ok, here's the final fix (if anyone is curious) The PHP:

function section_template() {
		global $post; 			?>
		<div id="nav_row" class="main_nav fix">
	<?php
		if(function_exists('wp_nav_menu')){
		wp_nav_menu( array('menu_class'  => 'main-nav'.pagelines_nav_classes(), 'container' => null, 'container_class' => '', 'depth' => 3, 'theme_location'=>'primary', 'fallback_cb'=>'pagelines_nav_fallback') );

}else{ pagelines_nav_fallback(); }

if(!pagelines_option('hidesearch')){ get_search_form(); }

?>
			<div id="player" class="global">
	   	<span>Launch Player</span>
	   	</div>
		</div>

<?php }[/code]

The CSS:

[code]#player{float:right;} #player_btn{ display: block; width: 210px; height: 28px; background: url("http://www.michelleleigh.com/images/site/player_button.png") no-repeat 0 0; } #player_btn:hover{ background-position: 0 -28px; } #player_btn span{ position: relative; top: -999em; } #primary-nav ul.main-nav.nosearch{ width:740px; }
Two notes/issues: 1. I had to make the changes in the main platformpro theme, when I tried adding it to the child theme it didn't take. Will eventually need help on this so future updates don't kill it. 2. I manually changed the width of
#primary-nav.ul.main-nav.nosearch

if there's a better way of doing this let me know. Thanks for all the input.