Sign in to follow this  
lmatanich

Low traffic

lmatanich

Our (platform pro) site went live on 1.26.11. I just checked our stats on godaddy and found that the no. of page requests has gone from 38k (Jan) to 8k (Feb). My biz partner is quick to correlate the decrease in no. of page requests with the decrease in business inquiries. I built the former site w/ dreamweaver and had a separate html file for each image of a portfolio. I'm now using lightroom to display portfolio images. Is this the cause? Or is this an SEO issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Hi Laurie, You've come to the right place. I know I lot about this type stuff. First, what does your analytics look like? are you getting less traffic? if so, can you tell which channel is decreasing? Second, if traffic is the same, did your bounce rate go up?

lmatanich

Hi Andrew. I just added "site analytics" to my godaddy acct. and was told it should take up to 48 hrs. for the info to appear. I'll be in touch once I have the info. I was just using the standard stats before. Thanks! *BTW- I meant to say I'm using lightbox to display images, not lightroom.*

lmatanich

So, they're online now and I've spent over one hour looking everything over and I'm still unsure. I'm thinking we should be paying more attention to "unique visitors" than "page requests" b/c our old site had hundreds of html files (images) whereas our new site is using lightbox to show the images. Maybe these files will help? http://redbarnstudios.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SiteAnalytics3.pdf http://redbarnstudios.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SiteAnalytics2.pdf

cmunns

You will not have to worry about the change in page requests, it is clear that since you decreased the number of files less requests are being made. Also, you may not have any data to compare to if you just now installed Google Analytics.

lmatanich

Hi Adam. That's what I figured (about page requests). I can view stats from as far back as August 2010, not through google analytics, but through godaddy stats.

Andrew

Hey Laurie, Yes, don't rely on the GoDaddy stuff. Analytics is what its all about.. if you see anything of interest there, let us know :)

toddatkins

One thing to consider here is how google indexes and ranks your site and particular pages. I wonder if you had any previously existing .html pages that had pagerank and search engine ranking position (SERP) which were drawing in traffic, and then you lost said traffic when you went to the new platform because the URLs changed. Did you do 301 redirects on important inner pages? How many of your inner pages had decent pagerank/SERPs? Go to google and check by entering: site:yourdomain.com And see what old URLs google had indexed. If there are some that are now missing or changed, i.e.: yourdomain.com/oldpage.html (especially if this ranked well in the SERPS and/or had high PR) Then you need to do 301 redirects to the new corresponding pages. You can get the plugin called "redirection" to achieve this. Hope this helps.