Sign in to follow this  
berserker

Need help customizing Main Menu colors using child theme CSS override

berserker

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the proper CSS declaration should be that will allow me to override the "Current" menu style for the menu as well as the sub-navigation drop down styles.....any help would be greatly appreciated. You can see an example of what I trying to target here: http://seniormoveexpo.com/sponsor I want to be able make the type in the current active state to be a darker color font on the light color I have set.

Kate

Hi Matthew, Are you using Firebug to target the elements you want to edit? I definitely recommend that. In the meantime, these are the classes you would use: "current-menu-item" or "current_page_item". You would use that on the menu list item. So, it would be something like

.current-menu-item a{color:#colorhere}

berserker

I am definitely using Firebug and I have tried a bunch of different combinations all with increased specificity each time to hopefully give me the control I need but with no luck thus far. I was trying to target the class like this: #primary-nav .current-menu-item a {color:#666666} But even that does not appear to be specific enough to allow me to override the current style setup.....any more ideas?

cmunns

These are a group of selectors controlled by the dynamic.css file which is used by the design control options: `.main-nav li.current-page-ancestor a, .main-nav li.current_page_item a, .main-nav li.current-page-ancestor ul a, .main-nav li.current_page_item ul a` These are what you probably want to target as well as, also controlled by Design control options `#subnav ul li a:active, .metabar a:hover, .post-nav a:hover, .post-footer a, #buddypress-page #object-nav ul li a, #buddypress-page table.forum .td-title a, #buddypress-page #subnav a:hover, #buddypress-page #subnav li.current a, #primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover {}` The point is that you shouldn't have to mess with the css, but if you need to isolate the rules start with the selectors provided as those are what dynamic.css uses.